Why taking Flagyl is dangerous

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 8:53 am - San Jose, CA

I just took the last dose of a 10 day course of Flagyl.  Again.  This is the third time this year, after going almost 7 years without taking it at all.  The first time, I took a minimal dose, and the gas and bloating came back pretty quickly.  The second time, I took twice as much, and the effects lasted quite a bit longer.

This time, I am taking it in conjunction with changing to a different probiotic.  We'll see how that works.  Gas is almost completely alleviated, for now.

Good for me: I pretty much ignored for the first 8 days the fact that I "could" eat more white flour carbs while taking Flagyl, and didn't overdo.

Bad for me: last night, DH and I realized we were sick to death of the same small menu of dinners we've been eating (for lack of imagination more than anything else), and we decided to splurge on getting pizza.  He ordered his pizza - extra pepperoni and cheese.  I ordered mine - veggie lovers with a bunch of extras (portobello mushrooms, anchovies, bacon and artichoke hearts).  Problem?  I had my two pieces last night, leaving 6 more.  And he won't eat my pizza.  So, I am doomed to eat the rest of the pizza today and tomorrow, while the Flagyl is still working.

Yes of course I could throw it out.  But no, I'm not going to.  I won't be eating pizza for a long time after this weekend, and that's just the way it is.

Its a Secret
on 10/2/11 9:02 am
Makes me think of the old saying  "Guns don't kill people..people kill people"  LOL

Enjoy your pizza lady :)

kirmy
on 10/2/11 9:43 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
You're going to be a yeasty wench!

Don't sit near radiators or get caught in unseasonal rainstorms or you may send spores all over the place.

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
nightowl
on 10/2/11 10:05 am - Topeka, KS
At first I thought you meant a more literal danger.  I have lost a bunch of bookmarks in my computer problems, and maybe I hadn't bookmarked this, but I recall a post maybe a year and a half ago, I'm thinking from baileymouse, about a woman she knew whose daughter died from a bad mix of Flagyl and some other med when the girl was in the hospital.  The link posted on OH was to the mother's blog (the child had been adopted from Guatemala).  Perhaps the person who posted that on OH will be along and link to it again.
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 11:12 am - Bayonne, NJ
Yep, that was me. Dr. Margaret Nichols lost her daughter due to a drug interaction between flagyl and dilantin. You can google Jesse Nichols Jacobson and find the articles. Pfizer was fined 3.78 million last October. Jesse had an operable brain tumor, was on the mend but contracted c. diff while in rehab, and died of Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.

I didn't know that flagyl and dilantin caused that child's  horrible, painful death, and here I was telling her mother about how I was on flagyl for c. diff and was so sick from it.

http://ipgcounseling.blogspot.com/2010/10/pfizer-killed-my-kid-now-that-check-has.html

:(
nightowl
on 10/2/11 1:25 pm - Topeka, KS
Thank you for posting.  The tragic nature of the death stuck with me.
Guate Wife
on 10/2/11 11:27 am - Grand Rapids, MI

Can't you get gluten free crust around you?  I would think so, being in hip California and all.  I get gluten free pizza all the time.  No issues and I love it.  I am slowly moving to gluten free everything (as I munch on my Sam's Club size animal crackers).  Makes a HUGE difference to my bloating.

~ I am the proud wife of a Guatemalan, but most people call me Kimberley
Highest Known Weight  =  370#  /  59.7 bmi  @  5'6"

Current Weight  =  168#  /  26.4 bmi  :  fluctuates 5# either way  @  5'7"  /  more than 90% EWL
Normal BMI (24.9)  =  159#:  would have to compromise my muscle mass to get here without plastics, so this is not a goal.

I   my DS.    Don't go into WLS without knowing ALL of your options:  DSFacts.com

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 11:41 pm - San Jose, CA

Well, my point was that I didn't NEED to worry about farting while on Flagyl, making me more inclined to eat the wrong things.  And why, unless you can't control your gas by watching your white flour intake (and there are a few people this can happen to), it is easy for some of us to "abuse" carbs and Flagyl together.

That and the whole C. diff-resistent bacteria thing.

I guess I could eat pizza if I was willing to do the gluten free stuff.  But until Pizza Hut delivers it, it ain't gonna happen.  So I'll just limit myself to the rare full-on treat.

Baileymouse - I didn't see that story before.  How awful - I'm so sorry.

MsBatt
on 10/2/11 11:44 am, edited 10/1/11 11:45 pm
I eat home-made pizza about once a week. No, that's not correct---I MAKE pizza about once a week, but it takes me 2-3 meals to eat it up. (*grin*) I make a VERY thin crust, and I pile it full of meats and cheese, with a dusting of onions and peppers. Doesn't seem to bother me.

One of these days, I'm going to try the "Brok's Pizza" crust---sounds delicious, but I just never seem to have enough cheese on hand when I want pizza.

Sometimes I wish white flour gave me MORE trouble than it does...

Oh---Flagyl tears my guts UP. I will NEVER again take it unless I'll die without it.

teachmid
on 10/2/11 9:39 pm - OKC, OK
I buy the huge bags of mozerrella cheese at Sam's and make Brok's pizza at least once a week. DH and I both love it. Give it a try.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165