Another 10% bone loss - so talk to me about osteoporosis treatments

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 4:30 am
On October 2, 2011 at 11:02 AM Pacific Time, Ms. Cal Culator wrote:
On October 2, 2011 at 10:18 AM Pacific Time, slim_shady wrote:
Here's my post on Vit D injections:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4221103/FYI-Once-yearly -cholecalciferol-D3-injection-article/

Dr. Stewart offers them in his office.  They have 600,000 IU of D3 per ml but that's ALL absorbed and is in a depo-release form.  Most of the Lubbock DSers get the injection and are in high-normal range.  Others still require D3 once or twice a week maintenance, but that's still a nice trade-off. 

I'd recommend Dr. Kemmeter give Dr. Stewart a call if he can't find it or is interested in offering it.  Any PCP could offer the same injection if they're interested in purchasing it.  The cost of a vial is only about $10 to the provider if I remember correctly and has 10 doses in it.  That's cheap.  I think Dr. Stewart charges $40/injection. 

So...I could go to Texas, get the injection, meet you and Tracy and THEN....write the whole trip off on my TAXES!!!!

PLEASE! ! !

I'll even buy your plane ticket!
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/2/11 5:07 am - Tuvalu
On October 2, 2011 at 11:30 AM Pacific Time, slim_shady wrote:
On October 2, 2011 at 11:02 AM Pacific Time, Ms. Cal Culator wrote:
On October 2, 2011 at 10:18 AM Pacific Time, slim_shady wrote:
Here's my post on Vit D injections:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4221103/FYI-Once-yearly -cholecalciferol-D3-injection-article/

Dr. Stewart offers them in his office.  They have 600,000 IU of D3 per ml but that's ALL absorbed and is in a depo-release form.  Most of the Lubbock DSers get the injection and are in high-normal range.  Others still require D3 once or twice a week maintenance, but that's still a nice trade-off. 

I'd recommend Dr. Kemmeter give Dr. Stewart a call if he can't find it or is interested in offering it.  Any PCP could offer the same injection if they're interested in purchasing it.  The cost of a vial is only about $10 to the provider if I remember correctly and has 10 doses in it.  That's cheap.  I think Dr. Stewart charges $40/injection. 

So...I could go to Texas, get the injection, meet you and Tracy and THEN....write the whole trip off on my TAXES!!!!

PLEASE! ! !

I'll even buy your plane ticket!

You are sweet but I *HATE airports anymore.

It will be the RV!!

Julie R.
on 10/2/11 4:10 am - Ludington, MI
 I'm all over that.   See my post to Ms. Sue below.   Let me know when you get the date set and I'll start making travel plans, LOL.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

LindyLoo
on 11/10/11 4:55 am - Upstate, SC
How did your Endo visit go?

I got my numbers... L1 & L2 are -3.8. Ouch.
Took my first dose of Boniva yesterday...no side effects to report.

I have to admit, I am seriously freaked about my Dexa. I had an artifical disc put in at C-5/6 20 months ago...and now I've had low back pain for 8+ weeks.
My current plan is to pick up the *&%*(% phone already & schedule a f-up with my Neurosurg and ask for a lumbar MRI. I NEED to know if my pain is from nerves being compressed...I had SO much damage to heal before in the cervical area. It was hell. My reason for delay? The @$%& deductible, $1000 buhbye. We're still recovering from the hellish 2 surgeries in 2010...

Just passed my 5 year DS anniversary...but too bummed to really post about it. Worried about bones, 20 lb weight gain (quit smoking), Depression meds need adjusting, parent medical issues... and a partridge in a pear tree...

All that and I am STILL happy I had the DS...so that's something, anyway.

Lindy
 sw 286/  cw 180ish  BMI 28
Thank God for the DS! It saved my life, literally & figuratively! 

Julie R.
on 11/10/11 7:06 am - Ludington, MI
 Oooooh - you got me beat
My spine is only  in -1.8 range, but my hip is -2.8.    I can't go on any bisphosphonates because my serum calcium is too low and my PTH is sky high ....198.

I'm on a liquid form of calcitriol right now, and I've been doing research on the importance of micronutrients in relationship to our D, calcium levels and bone density.   Have you had your K's and your copper checked?   Zinc?   Those are ALL really important.

There are some vitamin K tests you can have done - osteocalcium, and protein c come to mind.    

Yikes on the artaificial discs!   I hope that all clears out okay.    The only pain I'm having is this random acute joint pain, that they think is caused by oxalate crystals, due to my calcium malabsorption.    

I've had a ten pound regain from my lowest, but I seem to be stable, despite my sometimes shameful eating habits, particularly with my potato chip consumption!!    I know that it seems that everyone taking antidepressants struggles a bit more with their weight than others.

Keep me posted on that MRI!

Kathleen F.
on 11/10/11 10:57 am
Since you malabsorb calcium so much, how about calcium infusions? Would that help?
Julie R.
on 11/10/11 2:43 pm - Ludington, MI
 I asked about that in the past, and my doctor did not think they would be helpful.  I should ask this new doc what he thinks.

Kathleen F.
on 11/10/11 3:31 pm
Julie R.
on 11/10/11 3:37 pm - Ludington, MI
 I think what they explained to me is that it might correct my calcium from an electrolyte standpoint, but it's a temporary fix - the calcium that we need for our bones needs to be absorbed through the gut.   Also - there's a risk that hypercalcemia can occur very quickly with IV infusions - which can result in cardiac arrest.    

Yehuda G.
on 11/10/11 4:08 pm
How much vitamin A are you taking? Do some research on excessive A and bone health problems.