little scared

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/2/11 11:55 pm - Tuvalu

Nah...relax, Tracy.  I think he's just transmitting mental images.  And those who are receiving them have to filter them through their own imaginations.  No REAL images of you nekkid in the stethoscope.

(Okay, Steve, did I say that the way you wanted?)

(deactivated member)
on 10/3/11 8:46 am
 Perfect.  Whew!  Hope she buys it.
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 10/3/11 2:38 am
On October 1, 2011 at 6:00 PM Pacific Time, Foxone wrote:
Hello everyone i wanted to say hi to all. I been long time reader from time to time. I am going to take the plunge to do DS after years of fighting this weight.

I am one big wuss with it comes to needles and pain. so I'm scared to death about the blood drawings for lab work. never ever had this done and the one time 5 years ago i was going to have it done i had a panic attack and almost passed out.

if anyone else has gone through this before how did you just get it done?

Hiya!

My hubs has a problem similar to this, he's not afraid of pain but he's got anxiety and major trust issues when it comes to people sticking needles in him. He also goes into the "fight or flight" response during blood draws, he'll either pass out or run away- bowling people over in his path if need be. One time he jumped off the examination table, almost ripped the door of the hinges and took off running, nearly tramping 2 nurses and 3 PAs in his path. I'd thought that going with him would have helped... Nope! From that point on he was dubbed "the runner", and each time I went in for a blood draw at the same practice the nurse or PA would cautiously ask "Are you a bit squeamish when it comes to needles or will you be alright?" when I confirm the latter they would breathe a sigh of relief and say "Oh that's good, you know there's this one guy who ran away and almost knocked a few of us down-" at which point I nod and say "Yeah. I know him."

He was given xanax to take the day before the blood draw, while it helped somewhat it is more important find a doc or a nurse who is GREAT at finding veins the first time. The xanax will only help a little bit to help you still the anxiety response long enough for them to get the draw done. During a later doctor's visit the nurses couldn't find a vein in my husband's arms and they were turning it into swiss cheese. When one nurse couldn't get a vein, they called in another, we went through 5 nurses before he told them to stop- xanax or not, he couldn't take it anymore. It was like the scene from the movie "Airplaine" where people were lining up to smack that lady.

So make sure the doc can get blood out on the first try, no amateurs! That and some anti-anxiety meds might help.

For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Recent Topics