little scared

no_more_rolls
on 10/1/11 6:13 pm - Jackson, MI
Welcome and congrats on your decision to get the DS!

I used to be the same way.  I really don't know how I got over it.  I still feel a little queasy at times, especially because I have "bad" veins and tend to get stuck repeatedly and the phlebotomists tend to "fish" (move the needle around) for a "flash" (to get the blood).  I usually try to tell them where they will be successful if they draw my blood just so I don't get poked several times...if they listen.

The only thing I can tell you is to keep your "eyes on the prize" and think of the goal.  Look away when they are going to draw your blood and try to talk or think about something else...and most importantly make sure you breathe slow, steady, and controlled!  If you breathe too fast or slow that can contribute to you passing out or an anxiety attack.  The more you stress over it, the worst your reaction will be.  If your anxiety can't be controlled ask your doctor for a prescription like xanax (anxiety med) that you can take an hour before hand.  Many doctors also give patients that prior to MRI's if they have panic attacks or are claustrophobic.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Fran-I Am
on 10/1/11 9:32 pm
I hear ya'! There is not a more wussy of a person with their labs than I am!! Ok, well maybe my sister. We get so worked up and it is never as bad as we think it will. I bet that is true for you too, huh? We, my sister and I, have both passed out but when we do our eyes are open. It freaks people out so bad. LOL When I went over for my pre-op testing I made sure I told the phlebotomist that if I pass out my eyes will be open and to not be alarmed. Poor girl kept saying "are you with me" through the whole thing. My open DS is in 10 days and I am all worked up mostly about the IV. I know it may not make sense to some but I so understand! I am hoping that since I will have to get labs drawn on a regular basis now that maybe the fear will subside.

SW 1012/11 265#  CW 10/10 142#
Twyla S.
on 10/2/11 12:46 am - Chattanooga, TN
 I have TYSON CHICKEN tattooed across my big ol' butt, so I know exactly how you feel!  The other day at the dos I had to have blood drawn and while I was waiting, they were trying to find a vein in this poor lady's arm.  She was crying.....I was fixing to faint, another lady looked like she was going to barf.....I think more people than not are scared of needles.  I ALWAYS make sure to ask for a good "sticker".  I let them know up front that I'm likely to pass out without too much provocation, so they always make sure I have a great sticker.  I don't think they wanna deal with trying to pick up  a little fat woman off the floor......Good luck to you and congrats on your choice of surgery!
airbender
on 10/2/11 1:23 am
it is ok to be scared,  ummm NO ONE like needles and pain, well unless you are mentally unstable.  Just know there is an end, pain is a good thing, imagine life without it (CIPA) you are about to have the DS, bloodwork will become routine for you, you will never like it, but accept it.   Suggest a book for you....Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster by Peggy Huddleston.   Wishing you a wonderful journey...
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 5:24 am
Hey thanks all for your post.  will have to suck it up and get it done. my main thing is i can handle the after pain its the incoming pain that just kills me. i do have a few books i been meaning to get in to so this would be good time to start.

also got a pm about a Dr. doing super low cost DS.

"there is a very well regarded DS surgeon in the USA who, along with his hospital, wants to establish a Center of Excellence for the DS. In order to do this, they need to do a certain number of DS's within a limited time frame. So they're offering for this brief time a very low cost self-pay DS"
coehospital@

anyone have info on this? i sent an email to the address given to me but i was to sign the loan for my Mexico amount Monday. Guess i just hate putting it off if its some kind of advertisement.
sia
on 10/2/11 5:31 am - NY
 No one e-mailing you would do it as a hoax, from here. I would wait to sign that loan. Seriously. 
We Are A Fever. We Are A Fever. We ain't born typical. ~ The Kills
If you have any g-ddamn sense and want WLS, think about the DS.www.dsfacts.com
pycca
on 10/2/11 5:36 am, edited 10/2/11 5:37 am - Haslet, TX
If this is the  one that Diana  and a few others were  referring to,,, it is a VERY good surgeon.... worth

calling before you sign !!!  It does not hurt to wait 24 hrs of needed.. if you want to stay stateside.

as far as labs,,,, have them lay to down,, and don'****ch !!   I have several patients I need to do this with, one comes in with her earphones too ! LOL

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 5:39 am - TX
 I know a couple people who have done this 'low cost DS in the USA'.  It is For Real and a marvelous deal, however, I think they may be running out of time for it.  

Hopefully, you'll hear from them before you commit to anything.

Good luck 
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 5:47 am, edited 10/2/11 6:28 am
Can some one tell me where its done(state) at and maybe cost wise. maybe even a pm. i am going to hold off for now then til i have more info on the state side opp.
sia
on 10/2/11 6:24 am - NY
Real wise decision. Truly.
We Are A Fever. We Are A Fever. We ain't born typical. ~ The Kills
If you have any g-ddamn sense and want WLS, think about the DS.www.dsfacts.com
Recent Topics