Vitamin questions

sandyv63
on 10/1/11 8:37 am - Naples, FL
Now that I actually have a surgery date scheduled, I am on a mission to get all the vitamins I will need so I won't have to worry about it while I am recovering. I have been taking many, many supplements for years so taking vitamins is already a way of life for me. I plan to follow the VItalady schedule and tweak as necessary. I already take more supplements than what is on the schedule and I would like to continue taking at least some of them but I have no idea if I would need to adjust dosages. The supplements I am inquiring about specificaly are:

Selenium
Alpha Lipoic Acid with Acetyl L- Carnitine
Astaxanthin
Zeaxanthin
Co-Q 10
Omega oils
Vitamin K2
N-Acetyl Cysteine

I assume the Co-Q 10 and Omega's would have to be in dry form but what dose would I need? What about the other supplements?  Since they are already dry, can I keep taking the same dose? Oh I forgot about Astaxanthin and Zeaxanthin. I don't think they even come in dry form. I'd hate to give them up.

I also have a question about the B9 (Folic Acid)  in the Vitalady schedule. She has a dose of 1200 mcg in lozenge form. Can we take tablets/capsules or does it have to be sublingual like Vitamin B12?

Thank you!!
Emily F.
on 10/1/11 9:25 am
I would just warn you for buying too many vites ahead of time, you don't know if you will like them all, so don't buy a big quantity. The first calcium pills I bought gave me awful gas so I had to throw them out and then I bought chewable calcium and had to go through different flavors.
sandyv63
on 10/1/11 9:36 am - Naples, FL
Yeah, I am refraining from buying in massive bulk but I do want to have at least a 30 day supply. This way I can adjust as needed instead of trying to figure out what to get after I'm switched. Since I've been taking most of these vitamins for years, I have already gone through the usual bowel issues that occur when you first start taking many of these supplements. Of course after I am switched, it may not matter and the side effects might start all over again. But I am hopeful that since I've been taking supplements like Magnesium for years and have already worked out the bowel tolerance issues that first occured, maybe my altered guts won't punish me too much.
MajorMom
on 10/1/11 10:21 am, edited 9/30/11 10:22 pm - VA
In addition to Vitalady's basic plan I also take extra selenium, CoQ10, Omega 3-69 (emulsion not oil), potassium, milk thistle, vit B1 and K2. I'm not sure what the other ones you're taking are for but if they aren't oil based and they do you some good, I don't see why you couldn't keep taking them.

You can take B9 in if you want, I like the sublingual and use that but have reduced the complex to once a week according to my labs.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

sandyv63
on 10/1/11 10:29 am - Naples, FL
Did you have to adjust the dosage of your other supplements or do you take the standard dose?
MajorMom
on 10/1/11 10:35 am - VA
I recently had to cut back on the daily 100mcg of selenium and I take 600mg of the milk thistle twice a day, but I think the other things are pretty standard. I take 220mg of CoQ10 and the directed dose of the omega swirl.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

sandyv63
on 10/1/11 10:37 am - Naples, FL
Cool, thanks!
Kathleen F.
on 10/1/11 12:48 pm
I take 150 mcg. of K2 twice a day. I don't seem to have trouble with K or E, so I don't try to mega dose on them.
sandyv63
on 10/1/11 12:52 pm - Naples, FL
As a pre-op, I take 100 mcg of K2 so I should go up to 300 mcg once I am switched? Or should I stay at 100 mcg and wait for labs?
Kathleen F.
on 10/1/11 1:05 pm
Well, I look at it this way. A 3 1/2 oz. serving of natto has 1,000 mcg. of K2 in it. My mom, who is from Japan, grew up eating natto (nasty tasting stuff, but she loves it!) and at 78 her bones are in good shape. No osteoporosis! I also figure that since we are taking so much calcium and the fact that we want it to go into our bones and not our arteries or other soft tissue, 300 mcg. seems a reasonable amount to take.