Help with Lab Order

leslieanne729
on 9/29/11 12:14 am
I'm going in for my 4yr labs this is what my surgeon order do I need anything else?

CBC with Differential
TIBC, Fe, Fe Saturation
Vitamin B-12 Level
Complete Metabolic Profile
Lipid Panel
PTH Level
Vit D
Folate
Vit A
Prealbumin

Thanks
RNY 2002 (regained everything)   Revised to DS 2007
5'8"  SW 246 - GW 150 - LW 143 - CW-148
Follow Your Dreams.... & Hold On To Them !!  

Angel to Karen W
Angel to MIssy
Elizabeth N.
on 9/29/11 12:45 am - Burlington County, NJ
OOODLES AND OOOOODLES MORE!!!! You need the Vitalady list of suggested labs. Unfortunately, I don't have the link. Gina (Majormom) has it, as do several other folks. If none of them respond quickly here, PM Majormom and I'm sure she'll get to you ASAP.

As you know, I think Dr. G. is the bee's knees and would happily kiss him whenever I see him. But his nutritional followup SUCKS BOULDERS. He wants to wait till the patient is malnourished and then treat. Typical medical model thinking--treat illness rather than prevent it.

However, he *does* think well of Vitalady :-).

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/11 3:17 am
I had a quick question on these, is this comprehensive?  Basically, are there others that need to be checked or is it just these (and I know there are a lot on there!)?

Also, she listed the codes but what does your personal physician use for the coding?  Wondering why an insurer would cover a surgery with intestinal malabsorption and then not allow the code for "intestinal malabsorption" - seem odd. 

Just trying to get a jump on things!
Elizabeth N.
on 9/29/11 6:34 am - Burlington County, NJ
I think the test codes are standardized, but I'm not sure.

This is the most comprehensive malabsorption list I've seen thus far. It does not cover other things you might need tested that are not about malabsorption. For example, I get all my thyroid related tests done every time because of family history, my age, being post hystie and my hair loss.

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/11 7:34 am
Thank you!!!!!
vitalady
on 9/29/11 1:48 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Because some insurances do NOT pay for surgery and the exclusion is for the surgery itself and anything they can hang on it.

Mine is one. It's the best insurance I can get in this state for a small company, but WLS has always been excluded. I must be very careful how things are coded. About half of the others do apply to me, so we can use 2-3 of those and we're fine, legally and morally.

For about 1.5 yrs I had the last insurance in my state that allowed WLS, so was able to use those codes. They dropped WLS mid-contract term (didn't think they could do that), but after that date, I didn't dare use those codes. I got stuck paying for labs early out because of those codes.

Now, many insurers change their policy "later", so it's a good idea to NOT use those codes if there are others just as valid. You do not need to use ALL of those codes. Usually 2-3 cover them all.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Renee2007
on 9/29/11 12:55 am - Central, FL
Elizabeth N.
on 9/29/11 2:10 am - Burlington County, NJ
Thank you! I gotta bookmark that.

beemerbeeper
on 9/29/11 2:14 am - AL
Oh wow.

Try this: docs.google.com/Doc

You need everything on that list.  His list?  Crap.

~Becky

pauliegirl69
on 9/29/11 2:28 am - NJ
Hi Leslie,
I've been thinking Dr. G's List was a bit lame...I think we have to do some add ons.
Give me a call when u have some time, especially if your in the area..may be we can do dinner again