Ladies, could someone help me out with some questions about Menopause?

beth-28
on 9/29/11 11:43 am
I went to my Ob-Gyn today and told her that I think I'm starting perimenopause. I told her I haven't had a period since June, told her about the hot flashes and the night sweats. My husband has been snipped since August 2010, so unless there was divine intervention, I should not be pregnant.

Well, she took some blood for a pregnancy test (just to make sure), and then she recommended low dose birth control pills. She said that bc pills would stop the hot flashes, night sweats, and regulate my period. She didn't say I had to take them, but I got the impression that she wanted me to take them. (My primary care doctor ran some tests on me last month to see if I was menopausal...the tests were negative, but since I was still having symptoms I wanted my ob-gyn to check me out).

Now, I don't care if I ever have a period again....don't need them anymore because I am done birthin' my babies. But I believe when you go thru menopause one is at a higher risk for osteoporosis.

I would love to get rid of the hot flashes, but unless there are some major benefits like staving off osteoporosis for a while , I'm just not sure about taking them. I know that when you are on bc pills sometimes you gain weight and get acne.

But would the DS counteract the weight gain? (I'm not sure counteract is the word I'm looking for, but ya'll know what I'm asking...I hope)

So do ya'll have any words of wisdom or advice for me? 
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Twyla S.
on 9/29/11 1:58 pm - Chattanooga, TN
 I've been having those very same issues.....only I haven't had my DS yet.  Night sweats, hot flashes, mood swings(I'm bipolar, but these are like PMS on crack), I haven't had a regular period in idk when.....basically about six months or more, and only off and on for the past year or so.  Like you....couldn't care less about another period, see absolutely no reason for them if you're done having children.  My doc says that at 44 I'm kind of young to be entering menopause and none of my tests are showing anything.  Not sure if they have tested specifically for it or  not......would love to hear some of the answers to this.....
beth-28
on 9/29/11 2:56 pm
twylashelton,

I know what you mean about the "too young comment". I am 43, and both of my doctors say I'm too young. Well, these hot flashes are telling a different story!   I haven't had my DS yet, that's why I posted here. I hope that someone might offer some words of wisdom!

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/11 3:28 pm
I'm obviously not a lady, but wanted to add my $.02 worth.  With your upcoming surgery, the birth control pills can significantly increase your risk for blood clots in your legs.  You might want to wait until you're at least a month out from surgery before starting hormones if you decide to do so.  By that time you will have lost some weight and will be more physically active -- both of which will decrease your risk of complications on hormone replacement therapy. 
beth-28
on 9/29/11 3:49 pm
Steve,

I knew they increased risk, but I didn't even think about it increasing the increased risk of clots during/post surgery. Thank you for connecting those 2 for me!

You are a doctor (yea!), and I understand you can't give "offical" medical advice, but what do you think about my situation? I mean, is the hormone therapy only for getting rid of hot flashes, or does it have other benefits? I mean, I'm not thrilled about taking bc pills, but if there is a real medical benefit, then I would take it. (I hope I am expressing thing correctly. I've never been thru menopause before! )

MajorMom
on 9/29/11 7:48 pm - VA
I wasn't on any hormones until a year after my DS when I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. (I was osteopenic pre-op). My GYN put me on 1/2 strength estrogen/testosterone and progesterone, and my PCP put me on Fosamax and encouraged me to increase my calcium and even vitamin D3. I showed her Vitalady's plan that I was using and she said to keep doing all that but increase the calcium citrate. I'm still on the Fosamax and hormones and the bone loss has stopped.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Janet P.
on 9/29/11 10:17 pm
Beth - At 43, yes you are young but what is your family history (grandmother, mother, sisters)? My ob/gyn says that plays a significant role. If they went into menopause early then the chance that you will get it early is higher.

I went through menopause a couple of years ago. There are over the counter choices for hot flashes, mood swings, etc. My ob/gyn highly recommended Remifemin (that was the only one she says worked). Its primary ingredient is natural black coho**** worked great for me but you have to follow the package directions to a tee.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

beth-28
on 9/30/11 3:34 am
Janet, I don't know when my grandmother went thru menopause...she died when I was 7. My mother was in her 50's when she went thru menopause, and my older sister (45) has not gone thru it yet.

I don't know why I'm being picked on. lol

If the bc pills are just to stop the hot flashes, then that's not enough reason for me to take them. However, if they protect from or slow down osteoporosis, then it may be worth taking them. I guess I'll call her nurse, hopefully she can clarify this for me. Steve (see above) reminded me that bc pills increase the chance of blood clots, and that I may not want to take them untill after the DS.

Thanks for your help!

aaaaaaa
on 9/29/11 11:05 pm
 I'm 45, and have RNY, not DS, but I am going through perimenopause right now. I have not had the blood test, because my GP said, "since your mom went into it early, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck........ " I have had my cycle every other month now for the last 4 months, and on the off months, I have hot flashes at night. I started taking Estroven on  a regular basis, and it has helped tremendously. Perhaps you could try one of those natural meds. before the BC if you are concerned. Do it for a month or two and see if the symptoms alleviate at all. Good luck! :D