So lonely and unhappy

larra
on 10/1/11 12:43 am - bay area, CA
Her saying it's "rare" doesn't mean she does it rarely. She's saying that hardly anyone has it done, NOT that she does it EVER.
     She's wrong about it being rare, as you can see from this forum, though it is certainly less commonly done that the other procedures. And she doesn't do it AT ALL. If she did, she would list it under the procedures that she does.
     And even if she has done one or two, do you really want a surgeon who is not very experienced with this procedure (again, no matter how experienced she may be at other procedures)?? Do you really want a surgeon who is probably going to do her level best to talk you into something else, OR, if she's honest, explain to you that she mentions it in her website for completeness but doesn't do it?
    I really think you need to look more closely at her words, and seek a real DS surgeon.

Larra
Mdae
on 9/30/11 2:08 am, edited 9/30/11 2:11 am
i've been there, and it really really sucks.  i don't put a lot of stock in therapy, for myself, personally.  i also was prescribed anti-depression meds and they made me feel like i just wasn't myself.  both of these things may be very different for you, perhaps therapy and meds are the way to go.  but my best advice consists of two things:  force yourself to get active, get out of the house, and do things - be around other people (new people), and also...  try to remember that it's temporary, it will pass and you'll feel much more like your normal self after a while.

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/11 2:16 am - Phoenix, AZ
Thank you all so much for the advice. I called to get an appointment with a psychiatrist and a counselor.  Also thanks for the DS advice, my first choice was bypass but I decided on DS and I asked my surgeon was she familiar with the surgery and she said she is. Researched DSfacts.com and I can't find a surgeon in AZ that specializes in DS. Any recommendations of Doctors close to the AZ area? I don't want to have to change back to Bypass and it's not what I really want :(
Elizabeth N.
on 9/30/11 2:29 am - Burlington County, NJ
No, there are no known acceptable DS surgeons in AZ.  I would look at Dr. Daryl Stewart in Denton, TX or Dr. Rabkin or Dr. Keshishian in CA. Look for other options on the surgeons list at www.dsfacts.com .

There's also Dr. Steven Simper in Salt Lake. I don't recall if he's on that vetted surgeons list yet or not.

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/11 2:35 am - Lancaster, OH
I think California or Texas are your choices, unless you would consider out of country.  If you would, you have a really excellent DS surgeon just south of Arizona: Dr. Ungson, in Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico.  Don't know if your insurance is paying, or you are self-pay, but if self-pay, Dr. Ungson would really be worth looking into.
Elizabeth N.
on 9/30/11 2:41 am - Burlington County, NJ
Does he do RNY to DS revisions? I've been unclear about that.

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/11 2:52 am - Lancaster, OH
Oops.  Sorry, I missed the "revision" part.

I know that he has accepted people with RNY's, with the intent of performing a DS on them.  I don't know if they've ended up with DS's.  Not saying that it hasn't happened, just that "I" don't know.

I don't think he has extensive experience as a revision surgeon, and would not have added my two cents if I had realized that this was a revision.

Thanks for catching that.  :)
Elizabeth N.
on 9/30/11 4:11 am - Burlington County, NJ
I would LOVE if someone could get him to comment on his experience and stance with regards to these types of revisions. Does anybody still correspond with him?

mylittleblackdress
on 9/30/11 3:49 am - FL

Tiff--I agree with the others that you should seek professional help.  

Hope you feel better soon!
Happy Birthday,
Lisa

walter A.
on 9/30/11 9:35 am - lafayette, NJ
DR ANTHONE WILL do a rny only if you absolutely  insist, otherwise its ds. and its open, and southwest airlines flys to Omaha from Phoenix.  He hasn't sent me a comis check, sales over.