Revision pts lose slower? Why?

momx4
on 9/28/11 5:00 am - TX

So I have been reading that a revision patient typically loses slower?  Anyone know why?  If I do all the right things....why does it come off slower?

Kristi                
Twi light
on 9/28/11 6:04 am - NY
from what i read it is because revisions have a damaged metabolism from the failed bands/rny.

Amy_Kleve
on 9/28/11 6:15 am - Adrian, MN
I can tell already I will be slower. I'm not sure how much I have lost in my second month until Sunday. But I feel like it is coming off very slow.
Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/11 11:39 am - Bayonne, NJ
I guess for me it was years of damage, yo-yo dieting, etc. The RNY was probably the final straw. The good news is I made it to my RNY goal, the bad news is I'm nowhere near my DS surgeon's goal. I've noticed that a lot of the revision people don't get down to a low goal. I don't care, I actually like where I am, but I'm surprised I didn't lose more.  I'm just so thriled that the revision solved my other issues that the additional weight loss was an added bonus.
gak
on 9/28/11 1:24 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
There is a term my surgeon used with me.. it was "gene thrifty" and he said it is just some people's genetics. I have been determined to get rid of that term. I lost pretty quick at first after my revision.. now it has really slowed down to almost a complete stop. I am doing the up 2 lbs, down 3 lbs so a net loss of 1 pound ! I am trying to shake things up a bit. I think it will move again. If not I am okay where I am.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Tabitha70
on 9/28/11 1:25 pm, edited 9/28/11 1:27 pm
Someone asked me about this recently and it got me thinking and although I may seem like a 'slow loser' on paper,  I just can't imagine losing any faster than I did!  I will be 3 years post-revision in December and am 4 lbs. from normal BMI for my height. I have quite a bit of excess skin allover my body (UGH!!) that if I could afford to get it removed, would easily put me into a mid-range normal BMI. 
As you will read and may have already experienced yourself with your first surgery, it is a head-trip to lose weight so quickly...so hard for your mind to catch up with your new body as it changes. It took over 2 years for my weight to hold steady for long (I've lost 227 lbs)  but it all seems like a whirlwind to me and I think I may have lost my mind if it went any faster!
Try not to worry about it! And remember the tortoise and the rabbit...slow and steady wins the race!   (better to look at it as a marathon though, not a race!)
:-)

*************************************************************************************

RNY 11/00
with starting BMI of 57. Most lost was 52% EWL and BMI of 41.
Gained back every single pound.
Revision to DS 12/08 with starting BMI of 57 (again)
Over 3 years DS post-op, currently BMI of 26.3 
200lbs. gone as of 6/27/10 !!  I'm HALF of the old me as of 10/8/10 !! ONEderland 3/7/11 !!

LadyDi1970 and I are Angel buddies!