Caffiene addict!!

no_more_rolls
on 9/26/11 6:42 am - Jackson, MI
 I just switched to decaf coffee and caffiene free sodas.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Fran-I Am
on 9/26/11 7:34 am
UGH! I so wish I could drink coffee. Regular black tea increases chances for oxylates post DS and I drink it. Diet Mountain Dew is my regular go to and I can have one sometimes but flat for two months. I know it'll be worth it! I have been trying to decrease and I am doing ok with it. But just o****ep making myself drink a 16 ounce bottled water for every soda or tea I have. My 2 week pre-op diet starts Wednesday so by then I figure I will drink 2 bottled waters for every soda and decrease more next week. Diet Dew is so hard to get away from. Coffee makes me physically ill. I am sure I will choose a new drink addiction after my DS though. Maybe it will be water!??!

SW 1012/11 265#  CW 10/10 142#
Julie R.
on 9/26/11 9:51 am - Ludington, MI
 Wanna hear something interesting, Fran?   My endo doc told me that if you drink tea in a tea bag, the bag filters out the oxalates!    I've never read any studies proving/disproving this, but danggitall, if he says it's so, then it's so, LOL.   My oxalates are high, btw, but even getting rid of tea didn't help lower them.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Fran-I Am
on 9/26/11 10:29 am
Hi Julie,
This is what I found a while back about it. What do you think about it? I want it to be wrong! LOL So, do you think that the oxalates binds to the large doses of calcium DS'ers take? That is how I read it but I could deffinately be wrong.

Oxalate content and calcium binding capacity of tea and herbal teas.

Charrier MJ, Savage GP, Vanhanen L.

Source

Institute of Science and Engineering Techniques, University of Angers, Angers, France.

Abstract

Thirty-two commercially available teas consisting of green, oolong and black teas were bought from supermarkets in Christchurch, New Zealand in June 2001. Fifteen herbal teas were also purchased at the same time. The soluble oxalate content of the infusate made from each of the teas was determined using high pressure liquid chromatography. The mean soluble oxalate contents of black tea in tea bags and loose tea leaves were 4.68 and 5.11 mg/g tea, respectively, while green teas and oolong tea had lower oxalate contents, ranging from 0.23 to 1.15 mg/g tea. The soluble oxalate content of the herbal teas ranged from not detected to 3.00 mg/g tea. A regular tea drinker consuming six cups of tea/day would have an intake of between 26.46 and 98.58 mg soluble oxalate/day from loose black tea, 17.88 and 93.66 mg soluble oxalate/day from black tea in tea bags and a maximum of 18.0 mg/day from herbal teas. The oxalate intake from the regular daily consumption of black teas is modest when compared to the amounts of soluble oxalate that can be found in common foods. However, oxalate in black teas has the potential to bind to a significant proportion of calcium in the milk, which is commonly consumed with the black teas.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12495262

SW 1012/11 265#  CW 10/10 142#
PattyL
on 9/26/11 8:43 am
 I still have my caffeine every day.  Oh well!
lk1970
on 9/26/11 11:44 am
I did a slow caffine withdrawal... OMG I still had a headache for 2 weeks! But it was worth it... I'll never touch it again! I was drinking 2 pots of coffee a day... now it's only decaf! Good luck, you can do it!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

geutenmorgan
on 9/27/11 4:23 am
After surgery you could try the energy vitamin water. It has electrolytes with 20mg natural caffeine. Everyone is so focused on getting liquids in after surgery. The only problem is there is some sugar in the water... 13 grams. It might help with the withdrawals. Something to ask your surgeon about.
neacres100
on 10/1/11 5:41 am - NJ

I was a 2 to 3 cups in the morning coffee drinker. 

You may want to try the coffee's that you brew at home that have half the caf in them.  Also, to get through the withdrawel of it which brings on headaches, try coated aspirin. 

I know after my surgery, I was taking prevacid to coat my new stomach.  I read somewhere that the caffeine would bother my new stomach, ie: acid.  I tried room temp coffee, which didn't go over well with me.  I felt like I was burping up a lot of acid.  But I was burping a lot to begin with after surgery.  So I'm not sure the coffee made it worse.  I switched to green tea, ginger tea mixed with green tea.  The ginger tea seemed to soothe my new stomach and kept the burping down.  I stayed away from coffee for about 3 to 6 months.  The green tea and ginger got me through wanting caffiene and keeping me awake in the morning.  :)   Then I slowly went back to coffee.  However,  my coffee now is the half caf blend and about 2 cups a day. 

Erroded lapband removed 12/28/09, stomach repaired, infected port cut out.

WLS done on Dec 14th, 2010.WOOHOO!!
I survived & I'm alive!  Dr. Gagner is my life saver!