Caffiene addict!!

CarolinaMike
on 9/26/11 4:19 am - NC
Ok... so I am trying hard to kick the caffiene before surgery like they told me, but man I am having a rough time with it!!  Any hints or suggestions? 

Trying cold turkey... but man the headaches!!
Kathleen F.
on 9/26/11 4:39 am
I wouldn't go cold turkey. Why not just decrease it a bit everyday?
CarolinaMike
on 9/26/11 4:51 am - NC
Trying to figure out how much to cut back too...  half...  then half again?   Thats why I tried cold turkey
Justin K.
on 9/26/11 4:46 am - Grand Island, NE

I've got to be the worst caffine addict around.  I read this title and the first thing that came to mind was how to continue with the caffine after your stomach size was reduced (Caffine pills ftw!).

Anyway, I'd never heard of having to reduce/stop your caffine intake.  I will tell you that while I was in the hospital I was so hopped up on drugs the caffine headaches never occurred, and by the time I was out of the hospital I wasn't suffering withdrawl.

The only useful thing I could tell you would be to slowly work your way down in the amount of caffine you consume, and up your water intake so you clean your system out.

Headaches.. try some kind of anti-inflamatory.

Justin

provolisa
on 9/26/11 4:46 am - Provo, UT
I thought caffiene was next to oxygen in keeping me going, so I had the same problem as you.

So I tapered off, and then finally went cold turkey when I was down to one tea a day. I didn't have any of those evil headaches at all.  

I did go through a couple of day slump, however. That's why I considered going off of that last remnant of caffiene going cold turkey. 

But it passed, and now I am ready for surgery as soon as the insurance papers go through.
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

ann M.
on 9/26/11 4:47 am - Northern, VA
I have to tell ya....I'm strictly addicted.  I hope to cut back to my 12 oz a day coffee in my protein shake once I get my iron infusions, but no promises.  I make sure to get in my 64 oz of non-caffeinated fluids a day and have no issues.

I would say wait 'till surgery.  You'll have kick ass pain killers and won't feel the withdrawal. 

The caveat:  If you are getting your caffeine with sugar, ie mountain dew, sugary coffee drinks, sweetened ice tea, etc.  Ya' gotta find alternatives.

SW / BMI / SIZE:  312 / 49.5 / 26-28W         CW / BMI / SIZE:  159.1 / 25.1/ 10-12 
I need to lose about 2 more pounds for a normal BMI .  I still seem to be slowly losing at over 2 yrs out...so may get there yet.

CarolinaMike
on 9/26/11 4:56 am - NC
Most of all of my caffeine comes from Starbucks (love an extra shot of espresso)  and diet mountain dew...now I've switched to the caffeine free diet dew..   

I'll keep plugging away and go cold turkey so i have a few days in the hospital on pain meds to kill te headaches and hopefully I'll be unhooked by the time the meds wear off
ann M.
on 9/26/11 5:40 am - Northern, VA
You are soooo singing my song.  I love a SF Frap with and extra shot of espresso.  It's a few times a month thing for me now, though :( Just too many carbs in the frap base.  I have them add protein powder so I can feel semi-virtuous, but who am I kidding. 

Is it your surgeon that's requiring you to be caffeine free?

SW / BMI / SIZE:  312 / 49.5 / 26-28W         CW / BMI / SIZE:  159.1 / 25.1/ 10-12 
I need to lose about 2 more pounds for a normal BMI .  I still seem to be slowly losing at over 2 yrs out...so may get there yet.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/26/11 5:35 am - Tuvalu

Are there doctors who seriously expect us to do that?  I'm amazed.

* Gail R *
on 9/26/11 6:02 am - SF Bay Area, CA
No prescribed caffeine restriction from my surgeon. Though I couldn't stand the thought of coffee for a couple of months after surgery and recovery along with headaches is no picnic. I would recommend just slowly cutting back for a few weeks until surgery.  I am back up to 3 or four cups a day with no problems.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164