acid reflux w/ DS common ?

Suzanne H.
on 9/26/11 12:35 pm - Warminster, PA
Is acid reflux a common side of effect of DS in the beginning?  If so, does it get better?  Is there any thing you can do or take to prevent it beside Prilosec OTC?
DianaRR
on 9/26/11 12:55 pm - CA
there are prescription medications--previcid and nexium. Only nexium helps me with acid reflux.

April M.
on 9/26/11 12:56 pm - MI
Yup, it sure is. It does get better for some, and for others, not so much. From what I've seen on the boards, just about everyone needs a PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) in the beginning, some can quit taking them after just a few weeks or months, some need them for years or even for life. Call your surgeon, they can prescribe a different (better?) form of prilosec, or if that doesn't work for you, there is a variety of other PPIs that you can try until you find one that works. Good luck... it makes a world of difference once you finally get this problem under control.

~April~                                             5'7" 
       2 Part DS                   BMI: S/C/G    59.3/33.5/24.9   

Part 1: 3/14/11                HW/SW#1/SW#2/CW/GW      
    Part 2: 7/14/11                  
379/366/319/214/

elixir
on 9/26/11 1:23 pm - MI
I have never had acid reflux, however I take Prilosec because I occasionally take NSAIDS and want to protect my stomach.

Is Prilosec not working for you? My doctor had prescribed the generic version to me, but I also have several boxes of the OTC, which is the same product. I'm sure they'll prescribe something else if you let them know the Prilosec isn't working.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

walter A.
on 9/27/11 7:21 am - lafayette, NJ
THERE are surgical procedures that can be done prior to having a vsg that can prevent the gerd, I had one done many years ago, and when i had my ds, i have no gerd at all, don't even burp, nada, but it has to be done prior to the vsg or the part that is used in that surgery will have been removed and thrown away.  there are other surgical cures for reflux also.  a gastro entrtologist is the doctor of choice for this issue.