Can I really afford the DS?

beemerbeeper
on 9/26/11 1:43 pm - AL
I am getting rid of my cable tv.  I just want internet.  I would like to have a tv hooked up to the internet because I don't have a computer that I can really watch much on.  So as soon as I can get a TV with internet capability or a device that will hook up my current tv to the internet I am going to ditch the cable bill.

When did it become okay to pay so much money for TV anyway?

I have my phone bill down to $12 a month.  haha.  I am learning to live more frugally but it has taken me 53 years.

Better late than never,

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/11 7:10 pm - MN
DS on 03/13/12
Becky

depending on the tv you have all it might take is a vga cable to hook the tv to the computer.
Imissthe80s
on 9/27/11 3:40 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Becky-

The thing is, I don't have much to scale back to, I don't have Internet or Cable already.  I sat down last night and did a budget, thankfully there was lots of wriggle room.  I'm thinking the first year with the DS would be the most costly because of paying the surgery out-of-pocket max, follow-up appts., labs every three months, etc.  After that, it seems like things would calm down a bit.

Basically, I think in the long run, the DS will pay for itself on so many levels that to put it off or opt out would be doing a great disservice to my health.

Des

Julie R.
on 9/26/11 9:35 am - Ludington, MI
 This is a tough one, and I understand and appreciate your concern.    ANY of us could lose our current insurance.   I am a teacher, and have outstanding insurance.   I just found out this month though, that in order to keep this outstanding insurance, I now have to pay $382 a month for it, vs. the $50 a month I've been paying for the past six years!   What a shock!   Furthermore, with the economic woes that schools are facing in Michigan, my district could decide at any time to eliminate their music program and lay me off.  As a 50-year-old, it would be difficult for me to find a job elsewhere.   I just have to hope and pray that this doesn't happen.     So, absolutely what you're doing is a huge leap of faith.    In the meantime, I am trying diligently to fix any of the problems that I currently have, so that I'm in good shape if that ever does happen.    

As others have mentioned, the cost of morbid obesity would definitely be much higher.   I see this with my parents.  They are currently paying $2,500 a month for all of their meds that are, for the most part, all related to their obesity.    That's a whole helluva lot more than the $100 a month I pay for vitamins.    
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/26/11 9:42 am - Tuvalu

You know...it's a crap shoot.  You're young and have no kids, so you're not going to be in a situation where you have to choose between YOUR vites and Junior's braces.  That's a plus.

So, now...are you just having the same economic worries everyone in this economy is having?  If that's the case, and you lose your job...wouldn't you health be in serious shape with or without surgery?  I mean...WITH surgery, you really need to find a way to get those labs done and all, but you sound very bright and capable and...what the hell...if you DON'T do it now...when might your next opportunity be?

Imissthe80s
on 9/27/11 3:46 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Sue! I love you! There's this little gnawing thought where I think to myself: "If not now, when"?  That this is my window of opportunity.

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/11 11:12 am - MN
DS on 03/13/12
I think no mater what you can find away. And like someone else said Diabetes is way more expensive then vitamins and protein. My daughter has type 1 so we use way more test strips but just to keep her alive runs like 1000 dollars a month of test strips, insulin, and pump supplies and not to forget my caffeine supply to be able to function on broken sleep from getting up to check her during the night :P I think if you truly want this you can make it work I know I cant keep living like this so no mater what I will make this work once I have my surgery. And if we live in fear of the what ifs life would just suck to live.
RKLC2002
on 9/26/11 11:33 am - Omaha, NE
what makes you think you'll have to pay out of pocket for the labs?  I am self paying because my insurance has an exclusion for any weight loss surgery.  But, I don't know why they wouldn't cover me for lab work or iron infusions later.  Can they really attribute it to be a specific result of having a DS?   Aren't I 'cheaper' after having the procedure than all of my risks at my current weight?  I think I'll risk insurance not covering it.  I would also struggle to cover it, but I'll have to take that chance.  

But, you're wise to look at all of your options and concerns in advance!!

5' 10"    HW= 327   SW=319 lbs        CW=200  (lowest was 180)    GW=170

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Open DS with Dr. Anthone  - October 14, 2011
Ventral Hernia repair/panniculectomy/hysterectomy - Nov 2012; 
Bowel Blockage due to hysterectomy and adhesions - Feb 2013;
Ventral Hernia repair with mesh - Dec 2013

Elizabeth N.
on 9/26/11 11:56 am - Burlington County, NJ
I've never yet had a moment's trouble in getting labs covered. The doc codes them under a deficiency diagnosis, I believe. It has nothing to do with WLS.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/26/11 1:35 pm - Tuvalu
What EN said.  I'm taking a lab slip back to my PCP later this week because the dip**** there coded it related to wls.  No.  It needs to be 579.9 or I'm keeping my blood.