3 month update

Ann M.
on 9/26/11 8:46 am, edited 9/25/11 8:54 pm - GA
Well I am a few day late but here is my 3 month update.

So far I have lost 45 pounds. It definitely comes in spurts. I lost 25 pounds the first month, 5 pounds the second month, and 15 pounds the third month. I know I shouldn't compare myself to others but I do feel like my weight loss is slow especially considering my high starting weight.

As someone who is a revision from a slipped band, I can definitely eat more quality foods now than ever. My BMs seem to still be working themselves out but it looks like things are starting to regulate. I can't say that I have done anything in the bathroom that is worse than what I was capable of pre-op.

My 3 month appointment is on Thursday so I am a little nervous about what my surgeon will say about my weight loss. I will also have my blood work done then.

In terms of successes I have dropped back down into a size 28 from a tight 30 which helps me immensely for work clothes. I recently took a trip and did not need a seat belt extender on the plane which was nice.

I have been compliant on my vitamin regimen which took me a little while to work my way up to. I imagine I'll have to tweak it after my blood work. I was able to get the minimum protein requirements and water requirements in almost immediately. So there is that.

Things I am going to concentrate on: I have been worried about the pace of my weight loss and I have been sporadically using MFP. I will work to try and track daily. My carb intake is usually around 50 although it has been higher some days so I think tracking it will identify any problems that may be hindering my weight loss from the carb perspective. For the most part, when I do eat carbs I haven't had that many problems. But then again I usually don't eat a large volume. I ordered some egg based protein shakes to boost my intake even though I usually hit my 90-100 grams a day minimum from food. I am majorly intolerant (DHR) to the whey protein so I hope the egg based protein will help. I am also upping my water intake to see if that will assist with the weight loss.

I am planning on starting an exercise program hopefully 3 days a week. However, I am pretty sure I gave myself a hernia lifting luggage at the airport although I have not seen a protrusion yet. I could feel a tearing sensation in my abdomen when I lifted a suitcase so I think I will just stick to some walking for now.

I will say for the pre-ops and the newbies that I had major buyers remorse after the surgery. I seem to be in a better place mentally now. Try to find some people you connect with on this board. I cannot thank those enough who were patient with me (Janine, Marcy, Airbender, Steve, Charlee, Amanda, and a few others I am sure I'm forgetting). I am not in love with my DS but I think I am getting there.

Feel free to post suggestions, criticisms, and atta boys. Let me know your thoughts!

~Ann

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

MajorMom
on 9/26/11 8:56 am - VA
Sounds like you're getting the hang of it and doing great. Rock on!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Ann M.
on 9/26/11 12:53 pm - GA
Thanks Gina! There is definitely a learning curve but I think I am getting there.

Fran-I Am
on 9/26/11 9:25 am
Yeah you! Sounds like you are doing well.

SW 1012/11 265#  CW 10/10 142#
Ann M.
on 9/26/11 12:54 pm - GA
Thanks Fran. Cute weanling!

Julie R.
on 9/26/11 9:40 am - Ludington, MI
 Slow and steady wins the race.   Remember - you are a revision and they tend to lose slower.
I do believe that you should work to get more than 90-100 grams of protein in a day.   Most of us do need more, feel better on more, and it might also work to step up your weight loss a bit.     Because you have a greater amount to lose, you might want to really be as diligent as possible about keeping your carbs low for as long as it takes to get the bigger bulk of your weight off.     I feel that if at three months you're consistently getting in more than 50 grams of carbs a day, you might want to work on replacing some of those carbs with more protein.  Carbs go down easy and don't fill us up as much.   Protein will keep you full longer.  Carbs do not.   Good luck!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Ann M.
on 9/26/11 1:04 pm - GA
Aww sweet Julie. I agree about the protein and the carbs. I am hoping the egg protein shakes will help. I have no problems gagging down the whey based shakes- it just tore me up in the bathroom. I'd like to hit more the 150 - 100 grams of protein range.

The carb situation is weird. I tend to try and no carb but I know they creep in. Also on MFP I tend to round up and I count all carbs not net carbs. I really haven't had any cravings for cookies, ice cream, chocolate, candy etc. And its true, a little bit of those things really do satisfy you. When I crave carbs, its fresh baked bread with lots of butter or mayo. Pasta and rice I seem to be fine without. Well, I have had a little bit of pasta (2 bites) no problem. I did have some rice and got immediately nauseous. Did not seem to have GI side effects (drh and gas) from the rice but definitely felt sick to my stomach. Mashed potatoes I can do without and that's where my carbs do come from. However, I am going to pay close attention to all carbs as I know I need to maximize my weight loss now.

Yes I am revision, I need to accept that my weight loss may be slower and will likely require vigilance on my part. Thanks so much for the post. I'll check back in for some accountability.

~Ann

teachmid
on 9/26/11 10:04 am - OKC, OK
Good update. Congrats on your success and keep at it.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Ann M.
on 9/26/11 1:05 pm - GA
Thanks Gail. I know you understand the revision side of things and you have done quite well!

lk1970
on 9/26/11 11:35 am
Good update! I'm guessing you'll like your DS in no time, then slowly fall in love... keep up the good work!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!