Planters Warts and DS, connected?

J J the Jet Plane
on 9/24/11 2:16 pm
I had one a few years ago and it took forever to get rid of.  One of things you must do-- is throw out any socks or shoes that came in contact with the wart/ blood or puss substance. The nurse suggested it when mine would not go away.    It helped me finally get rid of it. 

I think I got mine at the gym :-( That was pre DS so I have no opinion about that, but I will say my podiatrist bill was extensive.  Sorry for your stress, it is very painful thing to deal with.
JJ
provolisa
on 9/24/11 3:38 pm - Provo, UT

I had one of those things once -- It took months and months to get rid of it!

Finally, my mother (I was still a kid) got out a sharp pair of scissors, sterilized them in a flame, and cut the sucker out! It had really deep roots. The pain of that healing was better than the pain of walking on it all summer!

Please note, I am telling what worked for me, not recommending self-surgery!

You need to get rid of those socks, and make sure that whoever removes it, removes the root.

My heart goes out to you -  Those things hurt!

Lisa

Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

beth-28
on 9/24/11 4:52 pm
Warts of any kind are caused by a virus. Sometimes the virus goes "dormant" ( asleep, if you will ).  Sometimes it can go dormant for years.....it's still in your body, it's just asleep. Sometimes it wakes up and forms more warts, it doesn't mean you've been "re-infected"...it just never left your body to begin with.

Why this is, I don't know. It's possible/probable that it has something to do with the immune system.

I had warts on my hand when I was about 12-13. I had them burned, frozen several times, but they kept comming back. Finally at about 14 the doctor cut them out, and they never came back. I have some scarring there, but it's so faint now you'd never see it unless I pointed them out ( I'm now 43).

There is a medicine that they make from some beetle, I think, that will make your skin blister..thus lifting the wart off too. They used this stuff on my son a few years ago, and his hasn't come back. Maybe ask your doctor (if you haven't tried it already) about it?

Good luck, and keep us posted.
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Fran-I Am
on 9/24/11 5:36 pm
When I was a kid I would get plantars wart. I was a farm kid who never wore shoes unless I absolutely had to. My mother always used castor oil on my plantars wart twice a day.

SW 1012/11 265#  CW 10/10 142#
dtabor5
on 9/24/11 10:57 pm
I as the same way!!! i lived on a farm and my mom made my dad in charge of chasing me down to pt on shoes!!! LOL..I think from the home remides site and from what you said.. it is a matter of "smothering it" I know people are saying use Apple Cider Vinager but be prepared that it hurts!! The Derm used some kindof acid in hopes that it would case a blister and would just "work it's self out and fall off"  thanks for saying that

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!

no_more_rolls
on 9/24/11 10:05 pm, edited 9/24/11 10:06 pm - Jackson, MI
No, the DS and plantars warts are not related.  Your immune system could be compromised, but you really need to have a full set of labs, including those to detect auto-immune issues before you can really say your immune system is compromised.  

As someone with auto-immune disease (lupus, etc.) I will tell you most doctors will not use that term lightly.  In my experience the only time I've ever heard a doctor say "compromised immune system" was when they either could not figure out what was wrong or it was a direct reference to my already diagonosed auto-immune issues.

As Elizabeth said, plantars warts are caused by a virus and they have little "seeds" in them.  It may not just be that you can not get rid of the virus...it's the seeds are not completely being removed they will come back.  The warts over time will begin to grow in a carrot shape into your foot.  Your doctor will have to make sure all those little seeds are removed or it will continue to grow and that's what causes the pain.  

Two of my children (one 10 years ago and one within the last year) have had plantars warts.  The pediatricians I sent took them too were never able to remove the warts, so I found a podiatrist (a foot doctor).  A foot doctor will see more cases of plantars warts than a PCP.  Needless to say within a few visits for both of the kids the warts were gone and never came back.

I suggest getting your labs done (and insist on labs that indicate auto-immune such as sed rate, CBC, ANA titer, CRP, anti-phospholipid antibodies, syphillis...some auto-immue issues will give false positive, etc.) and seeing a podiatrist if you haven't done so already.

edited to add "they will come back"
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Emily F.
on 9/24/11 11:11 pm
I would go to a different pod. doc. before I was afraid of an immune problem.
no_more_rolls
on 9/24/11 11:33 pm - Jackson, MI
 I agree Emily  
dtabor5
on 9/24/11 11:38 pm
reluctantly i think i will... Dr. N sees us on an average of 20 times a year, depending on the season.... ie, football, wrestling, baseball, I think you get what i am saying.. but i will make an appointment on Monday to see another one and see what he has to say... thanks again for all the great advise and soothing nerves..

Denise

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/11 7:49 am
I had one when I was about 12 and the doctor tried EVERYTHING and it kept coming back.  Finally went to a dermatologist at a teaching hospital and she said it was really deep.  Dug the whole thing out and left a small crater in my foot for about a year, but it was gone.

Don't be nervous about your immune system.  Those things are nasty.  More likely a deep wart that hasn't been completely excised than for it to be immune related.