Scalp pain! Could it be a sign of anything?

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/11 5:40 am
Hi Roxy....

....Please get it checked out for your own peace of mind....Continued success on your weight loss!!!
no_more_rolls
on 9/25/11 6:43 am - Jackson, MI
Thanks for the wishes of continued success Gypsy!  

The vascular surgeon that performed my thyroidectomy recently checked my scalp out and could not note a reason.  
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Elizabeth N.
on 9/25/11 6:11 am - Burlington County, NJ
 It could be any of a zillion things. I'd suspect a bit of nerve pain from something. It would be a very tiny nerve to hurt in just a specific part of your scalp.

no_more_rolls
on 9/25/11 6:47 am - Jackson, MI
That may be a possibility Elizabeth.  I didn't even think of that.  My trigeminal nerve is already damaged on my right side of the face due to the benign tumor that was growing on my thyroid.  Maybe that is something I need to ask my neurologist when I see him October 3?

Elizabeth N.
on 9/25/11 6:50 am - Burlington County, NJ
Bingo. I'll bet money there's something to that. Definitely talk to the neurologist. If you're in sheer misery with this, don't wait another week. Call sooner and see what could be done to help.

no_more_rolls
on 9/25/11 7:00 am - Jackson, MI
You're right Elizabeth.  I will call them first thing tomorrow morning and talk to the nurse.  Worst case scenario he'll say not likely then as a last resort I will have to call my rheumatologist to get my auto-immune labs done again.

Paul11011
on 9/25/11 6:36 am
Hate to be Mr. Obvious.  Any chance you've changed any hair care products or used anything different recently?  It may have nothing to do with your surgeries. 
VSG 1-10-2011 Dr. Randal Baker.   www.grandhealthpartners.com

no_more_rolls
on 9/25/11 6:55 am - Jackson, MI
LOL no that's a good question Paul, but no I haven't changed hair care products.  I also don't color treat my hair in anyway.  

I have a history of alopecia areata (hair loss in patches) due to lupus and a previous surgery years ago.  My hair eventually did grow back (slowly) but never fully recovered to what it used to be.  I don't remember my scalp hurting last time I lost hair.  After all the responses I am beginning to think it is either related to the lupus or nerve damage.

elixir
on 9/26/11 3:38 am - MI
Hi Roxy,

I've had a very similar scalp sensation. It feels like maybe I had a very tight ponytail, which isn't the case, because I keep my hair very short.  It feels sensitive to the touch and frankly I thought it was just a weird fluke or maybe some imagined sensitivity. It started shortly after the DS Expo at Dr. K's office where I overheard someone talking about having a lot of hair loss since they weren't getting enough protein after their surgery. Now protein isn't an issue for me, but I can't control the strange urge to keep checking the mirror for hair loss. My daughter says it's my imagination and it still looks like I have the same amount of spiders meeting on my head. (That's how she and my brother refer to my curls... spiders having a meeting on my head. Yeah, I'm auctioning them both off on eBay. Cheap.) I actually don't feel it today, so I guess that's good.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor