Does anyone take antibiotics long-term? (Doxycycline)

Mommy2006
on 9/21/11 11:20 am
I went in today, and my rosacea has really progressed. My Grandma lost vision in it many years ago due to this, and my mother has it, and virtually every female member of my family. I have a cream, and now I've been prescribed Doxycycline with the understanding I will be taking it *indefinitely* - and I'm wondering how this is going to affect me now. I've been having gas and such lately, and I switched probiotics so I am hoping that helps. Now with the antibiotic, though, I'm a bit nervous. It also states it has to be taken 2 hours away from antacids, vitamins, iron or dairy. Whee.

Just wondered if anyone else had experience with this and how the antibiotic affected their guts for the long-haul.

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/11 11:32 am
Doxycycline is tough on even a normal gut for even a short course.  I guess the only way to know how it will affect you long-term is to try it, but it has a high rate of nausea, cramps, and diarrhea (especially if taken on an empty stomach).  Most people know how they're going to do on doxycycline within the first few days, so watch your body closely.  I personally cannot imagine taking it long-term myself.  I would try every topical treatment first.  

It also increases photosensitivity to the sun, so you're more likely to sunburn while taking it so be careful.  

Finally, don't take it with milk products because that can increase stomach upset.  
Mommy2006
on 9/21/11 11:04 pm
Thanks for the info.
Ugh, I guess I'll see how it goes.