Im Home YAY....(x post)

Sexyvt123
on 9/21/11 11:09 pm
First I would like to thank Frankie for being a wonderful angel.  My surgery went well and I'm doing just fine.  The first night was a little ruff because of the pain medicine.  For some strange reason each time I press that pain button I would spit up blood.  At first the nurse told me this was normal but I did not believe that.  When I went to get the upper GI done I was in really bad shape.  Was spitting up so much blood that they had to stop.  Once I calm down and the spitting up stop they were able to finish.  I went back to my room and told them I do not want anymore pain medicine.  I had a long sleep and woke up like a whole new person.  Dr Roslin came and checked on me and wanted to know what was going on.  I explained it to him what was going on  and he told the nurse to STOP all pain meds.  Ever since then I have been feeling great.  He came and check on me yesterday and told me I can go home. 

Now that I am home I have been moving around alot.  I'm trying to get the protein and water down but its so hard.  Everytime I drink something I can feel it literally go down.  Its really not a nice feeling.  Sometimes I find myself spitting some of the water back up.  I wonder if this is normal or something is wrong.  I do have a cold that seems to be breaking down now.  I had a slight cold before surgery so I wonder if it has something to with it.  I brought some protein shakes but I don't really like much of them.  Dr Roslin said I can make my own but I don't know how to even begin.  I have the protein unflavor powder but I'm not sure what to blend with it.  Can anyone help?

P.S. Dr Roslin found the reason why I was having so much pain with the lapband.  It seems like when the lapband was first place inside of me I had a small hernia that the dr tried to fix.  According to Dr Roslin a stitch was leaning up against my esophagus and causing all of the pain.  He wants me to get a copy of my other Upper GI so he can use in his other cases.  He said it might help another person who is trying to revise.  Well that's all for now.  I will try to keep you guys updated.  If anyone have any great protein recipes please pass them along.  Thanks

meredith_123
on 9/21/11 11:25 pm - Waterford, MI
congrats!!  Glad to hear you are doing well. 
  5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
teachmid
on 9/21/11 11:37 pm - OKC, OK
Welcome home. I just focus on fluids at this point. I remember how surprised I was that drinking was so difficult.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

elixir
on 9/22/11 12:19 am - MI
Try adding a little bit of Mio to the unflavored protein drinks. I really like the strawberry-watermelon flavor. It's normal to feel your beverages going down; it's unpleasant, but definitely normal. I would occasionally feel like something was stuck sitting on my diaphragm. My doctor gave me a scrip for Levsin to help w/that.  

Good to hear that you're home and doing well! 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Victorious_one
on 9/22/11 12:39 am - South Central, PA

Did they ever find out why you were spitting up blood?  Yikes!

The "feeling the water" thing is normal.  You can try it at different temperatures (slightly warm, maybe with a little lemon; room temp; cool; ice cold) to see which you like best.  Same with the protein shakes--the taste is yucky, but you may just have to try different kinds to see what you like.  Get some samples from Vitalady when you can.

To make your own protein shake, it's going to be higher carb and lower protein, but don't worry about that now.  I used to do:

4 oz unsweetened soy milk (you can use regular, almond, or rice milk)
1 raw egg
cinnamon
1/2 banana
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
(11g protein; 18g carbs)

You can cut the carbs by using 1/4 banana & 6 oz milk
(which would be 11g carbs and 12g protein)

You can add 6g protein by using an extra egg

At the time, I only had a blender, but that puts a lot of air in the shake (air = gas!).  If you have those blender bottles, that will work a lot better.  You can fiddle with the flavors and the mil****il you get a kind that you like.  I drank these until I could drink the Champion Pure Whey without puking.

Glad you're on the mend, and un-banded!

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Sexyvt123
on 9/23/11 1:20 am
Hi Victorious

It was the pain medication making me spit up blood.  It was way to strong for me and just cause me to spit up each time I press the button.  After the first night I decided I will not take any pain meds and ride it out.  So far ive been doing fine without it.  I never thought it would be this hard to get liquids down.  I did find that warm and ho****er goes down easy without feeling it go down my stomach.  So I will drink 6 cups of ho****er each day and try to get 2 shakes.  Hopefully this works for me until im fully healed. 

Imissthe80s
on 9/22/11 1:03 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Wow, home already?! Look at how fast this is all going.  How long did you wait for this? Can you believe that you have your DS?!?!?! Congrats!

Sexyvt123
on 9/23/11 1:26 am
It really is unbelievable how fast everything happen.  Im already feeling great and able to walk around with ease.  I thought I would not be home until Friday.  When the Dr said I can go home on WED I was shock. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/11 2:53 am
I'm so glad to hear you finally got your DS. Cheers!

Yehuda
smileyjamie72
on 9/22/11 3:44 am - Palmer, AK

Glad to see you are home & healing!!!!  YAY for you!!!!!

I have read that Unjury has an unflavored protein to mix in with jello & broths and recipes, depending on where you are at with your eating?  Not sure if you are on liquids, or soft food.  Anyhow, Just a suggestion.

http://www.unjury.com/store/protein/unjury-protein/protein-c ontainers.html

Take care & you are doing GREAT!!!!  Keep posting!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**