Help me cook steak.....please!

happydsr
on 9/21/11 2:16 pm
PattyL
on 9/21/11 4:54 am
 Most supermarket steaks are really not great quality.  Using meat that's not great to begin with is a challenge but that's what most of us have to work with so here goes.

I start with a dry steak that's on the old side of fresh the day before I want to cook it..  I put a little vinegar(or wine), cracked pepper, garlic, and worcestershire sauce in a large zip loc bag with the steaks.  I turn them over a couple times in the fridge.  If you like liquid smoke, you can put in a couple drops of that too.

When it's time to cook I get out the steaks and let them dry and come to room temperature.  I coat them with a little olive oil.  I heat a cast iron grill pan till a drop of water evaporates/boils away.  I put in the steaks and sear them for about 3/4 minutes per side and that's it.

There are many different marinades but here's the chemistry behind them.  Acid breaks down protein so all marinades start with an acid.  Vinegar, wine, lemon/lime, yogurt, you pick!
lisarn
on 9/21/11 5:43 am - Omaha, NE
 mmmm....now I want to cook a steak!!

most of what everyone has said here is great. my newest favorite cut of beef has been a petite cute sirloin steak. I like this cut because it is a smaller steak for my smaller stomach. My local grocery store has been selling these 3 per pack for about $11.
I live in Nebraska, and actually the grocery stores here have VERY GOOD beef. In fact, I've had better beef from the grocery store here in Nebr. than any steak I've had in other parts of the country (mostly east coast).
I've been grilling a lot of steaks this summer since I had my DS on 5/31. Now that it is starting to get colder, I've started doing my steaks inside like almost ALL restaurants do them. I take the steaks out of the fridge about 30 min. before I'm going to cook it (do that for grilling too). Preheat oven to 425, and put a cast iron skillet in the oven to get hot. I pat the moisture off the steaks with paper towels. I brush the steaks with a little oil, then just a little salt and pepper and some of the best spice I've had: Arizona Dreaming from Penzey's Spices. If you have never been to a Penzey's, run, don't walk to Penzey's. The Arizona Dreaming is one of their best mixes.
I take the skillet out of the oven and put on the stove top with the stove on high. Steaks go in for about 2 minutes on each side to sear the steaks. Contrary to popular belief, searing does not "seal in the juices". Searing browns the meat, and gives it that "cooked meat" flavor. After searing both sides, then move the skillet to the oven with another two minutes per side. Check the meat temperature with a meat thermometer. For med. rare, temp should be 130 at this point. Take it out of the oven and place on a plate or cutting board and cover with foil for about 5-8 min. Steak will be perfect.

HW/SW/CW/GW:   294/288/170.2/150  ht: 5'2" (06/03/2012)

Jolly Rancher
on 9/21/11 9:13 am
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I really appreciate it!
Northcountrygirl
on 9/21/11 10:28 am
This is just my opinion, and I think I have a good one where beef is concerned.  Grass fed is the best.  It is the most healthy for you.  It has lower  cholesterol, the fat on it is good for you.  It contains loads of beta carotene.  It is super high in iron and other DS friendly vites and minerals.  Do not over cook it.   It does not have to be raw to be tender.  Just slightly pink is excellent.  It should not be salted until ready to serve, it can draw out valuable moisture.  Grass fed beef can be very expensive.  Personally, my husband and I have been doing this for years.  We sell at a lot of farmers markets in upstate NY.  We sell our meat at a reasonable profit above what it costs us to raise it.  It makes me angry that some producers exploit the consumer.  Good, clean food should be as affordable as junk food.  More families would eat better if it was affordable.  Thank you, I will step off my soap box now....maybe. 
PS.  Free range chicken, pastured pork and grass fed lamb are also excellent choices.  Lower in the bad stuff, higher in the good.   This is also a better more humane life for the animals involved.  They may give their life in the end, but they need to be treated with respect while here. 
Melissa
newyorkbitch
on 9/21/11 1:04 pm, edited 9/21/11 1:06 pm
Melissa what markets do you sell at in upstate NY?

I buy a lot of grassfed beef in upstate NY.  I know why it's a good thing to eat.  I have several friends who raise grassfed beef cattle.  But it is leaner than grainfed,  and less flavorful.  When I want a really juicy flavorful steak....that is not what grassfed beef provides.

Northcountrygirl
on 9/21/11 11:48 pm
     I live in upstate/upstate NY.  I sell at some of the Adirondack markets.  Elizabeth Town and Paul Smiths.  I live about 1 mile from the Canadian border.    
     IMO you can have a tender flavorful grass fed steak.  One thing I notice is that a lot of grass fed farmers tend not to age their beef on the hoof as long as they should. ( Traditional grain fed beef is slaughtered young, about 14 months old.  The quicker they are raised the faster the money comes in.  So you fill it full of corn and byproducts and add tons of ugly fat to the animal.)  A lot of our fellow grass fed beef farmers also butcher young.   Good tender, flavorful meat comes from the inter muscular fat.  The tiny flecks in the actual muscle tissue.  This comes with age.  Steers will naturally marble, but they need to be mature.  Some breeds do not mature until later, say 18 months.  So a good rule is they will not start to naturally marble until they are sexually mature, 14+ months old.   Grass fed animals tend to take longer to mature.                                                                                                                                                                  We chose to butcher our animals at 24-28 months.    This means we keep them over 2 winters.  We spend more money feeding them hay over another winter and also our time.    This gives the animal time to naturally mature and develop.  This does make a difference.  Breed can make a difference also.  Some breeds are very lean (Scottish Highlands).   We raise Hereford and a few Charlolais.  Personally I have had my best meat from an older animals.  Last winter we slaughtered one that was 36 months old for ourselves.  It was excellent.  Every cut tender and juicy.  Tons of flavor.   Animals who live a calm, easy life with no upset are also more tender.  Tender grass fed beef is a combination of a lot of factors. 
     Like most things in our society today we want it fast and cheap.  I prefer to produce a quality product.  I don't need to be rich I just need enough to get by.                                

Melissa
newyorkbitch
on 9/21/11 11:50 pm
I understand.  But buying grassfed beef that is slaughtered that late is a FORTUNE.  I do it sometimes,  but not often.  And as I said,  when I want marbled very flavorful meat....grassfed (even late slaughtered) is just not going to cut it.