Help me cook steak.....please!

Janet P.
on 9/20/11 9:13 pm
I fixed the perfect ribeye last night. Organic, grass fed beef.

Top of stove, non-stick pan. Only salt and pepper on the steak (as others said, a good steak doesn't need anything else).

About a teaspoon of good olive oil in the pan. Get very hot.

Very high heat one side 2 minutes
Very high eat other side 2 minutes
Medium heat 2-3 minutes one side
Medium heat 2-3 minutes other side

Let rest 3-4 minutes.

Perfectly cooked medium rare steak.

I make steak at home at last once a week.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Twi light
on 9/21/11 3:29 am - NY
But how big was your steak? This would not work for the 2inch ones probably not enough time.

Janet P.
on 9/22/11 3:47 am
I try to keep it to 1 to 1-1/2 inches. 2 inches is too thick

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/11 10:23 pm - Beverly, NJ
I know I'm alone in this but I'm not to picky about the type of steak I buy. When I cook it though my steak does fall right apart. My secret? Greek yogurt. Marinade it in plain Greek yogurt the night before (although in a pinch I've done it for just a few hours). It breaks down the tissue and works as a perfect tenderizer.
sdld2001
on 9/20/11 10:26 pm - Summerville, SC
I choose either ribeye or tenderloin for grilling/broiling. I think grocery store quality is just fine. And I also like spices (my fav is K.C. Masterpiece BBQ seasoning dry rub) on the meat. Guess Im just not "cultured." LMFAO. Regardless, it melts in my mouth and I think it's delicious.

I get a skillet screaming hot while the oven preheats at 450 degrees. When the skillet is hot I add a bit of oil AND a bit of butter (butter for the flavor and the oil has a higher cooking temp and won't burn). When it's melted and bubbly I add the meat. I cook it for 1 minute, flip, and cook it for 1 more minute. I then put it in the oven to finish cooking. I cook it on a cooling rack that sits on a baking sheet so that the heat circulates all around the meat. I cook it for 10 minutes. I take it out of the oven and put it immediately on a plate to rest another 10ish minutes. The meat will continue to cook a little bit and usually turns out medium well.

Mindee

HW - 274 / SW - 265 / CW - 178 / GW 140          High BMI 53.5 / Current BMI 34.8  
Jolly Rancher
on 9/21/11 9:09 am
THANK YOU! I'm not "cultured" either! I will give this a try!
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/21/11 9:55 am - Tuvalu
On September 21, 2011 at 4:09 PM Pacific Time, Jolly Rancher wrote:
THANK YOU! I'm not "cultured" either! I will give this a try!

"Medium Well" is not for steaks.  "Medium Well" is for resoleing your favorite boots.
Jolly Rancher
on 9/21/11 10:07 am
LOL. I'm thinking steak is something I should just enjoy eating out. I don't mind a medium, but not too bloody. Don't know what happened to me, but I need it a little more done than that these days. I'm thinking I should just stick with Chad's suggestion and buy the $5 roast.......but come to think of it, I can never find those either!
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Chad M.
on 9/21/11 2:26 am - Indianapolis, IN
 Aging is typically the difference between what you get at a good steakhouse and what you cook at home. The more steak you eat the more you will recognize what aging adds to the flavor.

For me, ribeyes are the best combination of flavor and tenderness. They are not as tender as a fillet, but taste better.

Steaks do not get baked. Steaks do not get broiled or boiled or cooked in a crock pot. Steaks are cooked on a grill.

Steaks do not get herb crusted or smothered in marinade or anything else. You are buying a high-quality cut of meat so that you can taste the meat. If you want to taste marinade, spend $5 on a roast instead.

Sear the meat over high heat, about a minute each side. Then lower the heat a bit and cook it for a few minutes on each side. You will learn to tell the doneness by the color of the juice that is coming out of the steak. If you like your steak much more than medium rare, then again, buy a $5 roast because you are wasting your money.

newyorkbitch
on 9/21/11 4:30 am, edited 9/21/11 4:35 am
Peter Luger is arguably the best steakhouse in the country. They do not grill the steaks. They are superlative in every way.

cut  steaks  about 1 1/2 inches thick
2 teaspoons grapeseed or canola oil

Kosher salt

• Remove steaks from refrigerator 2 hours before cooking time. Dry them with a paper towel.
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with a rack set in the middle.
  • Heat a heavy, cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, until a few drops of water sprinkled in the hot pan evaporate within 3 seconds.
  • Coat the bottom of the pan with 2 teaspoons of grapeseed or canola oil.
  • Liberally salt the steaks with kosher salt, about 3/4 teaspoon for each steak.
  • Place steaks in pan and sear for 2 minutes on each side, flipping only once with tongs.
  • Transfer the steaks, still in the pan, to the oven and roast for roughly 8 to 9 minutes for 11/2-inch steaks to achieve medium-rare (an instant-read thermometer should register between 125 and 130 degrees).
  • Let the steaks rest, under a tent of aluminum foil, for 5 minutes before serving.
(This is how I do it at home when it's not grilling weather.  When it is grilling weather,  I sear them over the very hot part,  and then move them off the flames to finish.  I buy ribeye or porterhouse.  Well marbled,  dry aged.  I agree that a steak should never be coated or marinated and if you want meat well done,  don't bother with a steak.  If I'm out of the city and I don't have access to good quality, steak,  then I buy roast or chopped meat and make a roast or meatloaf or something.  Life is too short to eat mediocre steak)