Help me cook steak.....please!

newyorkbitch
on 9/20/11 11:25 am
If it's a really good steak,  let the flavor of the meat be the star!  No Lawry's, no cheese!

IMHO
Mdae
on 9/20/11 11:57 am
yeah, plain meat is cool...  the bloodier the better... but not every time.

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 9/20/11 12:21 pm
One word: KOBE

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

One of the few things better than good sex, and at least a tie with great sex.

For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/20/11 11:45 am - Tuvalu

Go to the "Manager's Special" or "Butcher's Special" section of the meat counter, where they mark down stuff that is still edible but is starting to get old.

Find the most expensive cut that YOU like...a good ribeye or porterhouse or filet mignon something...that is on the verge of being out of date.  If there's a butcher in your family, he will call that "aged."

Restaurants use a LOT of seasoning...enough that my edema acts up from all the salt.  You may be underseasoning compared to what you've experienced in restaurants.

newyorkbitch
on 9/20/11 11:58 am
I dunno,  Ms Culator....really good steakhouses let the meat shine...

(I realize that living in NYC I have a lot of access to high end stuff....)
Twi light
on 9/20/11 12:18 pm - NY
as much as i agree with everyone that prime, grass fed , aged beef is eons better, it is also more expensive, so we rarely buy it. I will however say that it all depends on cut for me, as long as it is ribeye, filet, flank, porterhouse, or skirt, i can do it easy peasy on a stailnless steel or cast iron skillet, and of course on the grill.

I use a thermometer, i coo****il the appropriate temp and I do not have any problems with it being tender, i think key is to NOT overcook the meat. I almost never marinade , just salt, pepper, garlic powder.

Diane Davis
on 9/20/11 12:32 pm
You can age your steak in your refirigerator.  I like mine to be turning brown before I grill it, and I grill mine rare (bloody-yum yum!), the rarer it is, the more tender it will be.  My husband was a very well done steak eater until he married me, now he eats his medium rare due to the tenderness and flavor!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 9/20/11 12:57 pm
Didn't Alton Brown have an episode ongood-eats where he gives a lesson on dry-aging at home? If I remember later on I gotta see if I can find a link or something.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/20/11 1:59 pm - Tuvalu
On September 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM Pacific Time, Diane Davis wrote:
You can age your steak in your refirigerator.  I like mine to be turning brown before I grill it, and I grill mine rare (bloody-yum yum!), the rarer it is, the more tender it will be.  My husband was a very well done steak eater until he married me, now he eats his medium rare due to the tenderness and flavor!

Same here!  When we got our first Army Housing to live in and we had a STOVE, we celebrated with steaks.  I put his in the broiler, with nothing on it...the way he wanted it...and watched it cook half way to forever and when I turned it over, I threw my steak (with a little garlic and onion...I'm half Mexican and half Sicilian...I can't help it) and cooked a bit more and then turned mine over and shortly thereafter took them both out.

We sat down to eat and he asked if he could taste my steak.  I said that he could and he did and then he asked, "Wanna trade?"

I explained that under no cir****tances would I eat that shriveled up mess, cooked to order, that HE called a steak.  But maybe NEXT time, he could have a GOOD steak.

He's been a medium rare guy ever since.

GwenJ
on 9/20/11 12:51 pm
Walmarts in our area carry two grades of steaks.  Don't recall what they are, but seems like the better one is Prime.  I like a rib eye.  I have a small George Foreman that is just large enough to cook a good sized steak, or two smaller ones.  I heat the Foreman, put the steak on, put a little butter on top, sprinkle with lemon pepper, garlic, and steak seasoning.  Close the lid.  About halfway through, turn it over and season again.  I like mine cooked quickly on the outside, but it is medium on the inside.  One steak like this runs about $10 at our Walmart.  I can go to a
restaurant about 20 miles from here that serves a 16 oz sirloin with baked potato for $10.99.  So if I'm down that way shopping, I'll just go to the restaurant.  The George Foreman method is much better than the ones that I cook on my gas grill.  It also seals in the juices, it's quick, and cleanup is a breeze.