OT....Pathology report back and my ramblings

no_more_rolls
on 9/19/11 3:07 am - Jackson, MI
Some of you may know last week I had surgery (total thyroidectomy/thyroid removal).  Pre-DS I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroid disease...an auto-immune related issue (I also have lupus).  I knew someday I would have to have a thyroidectomy, I just didn't plan on having it done 2 months post-DS.  Unfortunately, my thyroid had begun to grow into my chest cavity...which we did not know until surgery even though I have had multiple diagnostic tests (and apparently it grew even more after my last MRI just 3 weeks prior to the total thyroidectomy).  My thyroid was pressing on my vocal cords, carotid artery, and restricting my airway.  It was over 4 times the normal size.   I have come to terms that I will have to take thyroid replacement hormone daily for the rest of my life.  When I consider it, I guess it's not that big of a deal because I already have agreed to have my labs checked regularly for my DS and to take mega doses of vitamins and supplements...so 1 more thing don't really matter.  

Anyways, my surgeon just called me personally to tell me my pathology report.  Post-op she alarmed me and mentioned I might have to do a round or 2 or radiation, so I have been scared for days.  GOOD NEWS!  My pathology report came back as benign!!!!  She said the tumor I developed was related to Hashimoto's and it was a good thing that I had the surgery when I did because if it continued to grow I might not be here next year because it would have slowly suffocated me or caused something to rupture and I could have bled to death.  I know graphic, right?  

I just wanted to share the good news and say thanks to all that have helped me through this journey!  My weight loss has stalled the 10 days...but after what my body's been through it needed a break.  Now it's time to break that stall and move forward to a new healthier me!
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

teachmid
on 9/19/11 3:15 am - OKC, OK
Great news! Now you can breathe a big sigh of relief.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

no_more_rolls
on 9/19/11 3:31 am - Jackson, MI
 Thanks Gail!  Actually I can breathe better now for 2 reasons 
divakay2
on 9/19/11 3:35 am

Awesome news I know you are relieved................Kenya

no_more_rolls
on 9/19/11 3:57 am - Jackson, MI
 Thank you Kenya!  Yes, I'm very relieved!
(deactivated member)
on 9/19/11 3:44 am - San Jose, CA
Everyone who has need of thyroid meds, whether for low or nonexistent thyroid function, has to take a full replacement dose of thyroxine (because if normal is 5 units and your thyroid decides to make only 3 and then you take 2, your body will stop making 2 units so you end up at 3 anyway - you have to take 5 to get to 5).  I've been taking thyroxine since I was 15 - no big deal.
Julie R.
on 9/19/11 3:54 am - Ludington, MI
Wonderful news!   I've been thinking of you.   So you're home and  mending now?  How do you feel?
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

no_more_rolls
on 9/19/11 4:01 am - Jackson, MI
Thank you Julie!  Yes, I'm home now.  My chest is very bruised and actually my throat doesn't hardly bother me at all...even if I can only talk above a whisper.  Other than that I feel great!  I wi**** wasn't raining because I would go for a walk.  I'm on a 10 pound weight restriction, so going to the gym is out of the question for a few weeks.
kirmy
on 9/19/11 6:16 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Hashimotos sufferer here too (my Dad, my Sister, My Grandmother etc etc).  I thank the flying spaghetti monster that I have had no major issues with nodules ever.....apart from looking like a bullfrog on occasion. 

Thyroid hormones are no bigger to take. It is **** about getting your levels optimal.  It take a month before your TSH becomes therapeutic. The worst part about it is you cannot miss a dose without it dropping your TSH and making you feel like **** 

Keep me updated on how you're doing. Sending healing bum squidges.

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
no_more_rolls
on 9/19/11 6:44 am - Jackson, MI
YAY, healing bum squidgies!   Thanks Kirmy!  I can't say I saw the flying spaghetti monster (if I did I would have ate it lol, I loved pasta) although I had mastered my role looking like a bullfrog for the last year.  

I agree with you about taking the thyroid hormones...a pain in the bum regulating them.  Now that I just got a major increase due to the thyroidectomy I realize I can not take them at night anymore if I want to sleep.  WHEW!!!  Talk about energy in a pill!  Either way half way through the day I'm ready to crash and burn.  I'm on Levothyroxine 150 mcg.  When do you find it best to take your thyroid hormone?  Do you have to take 2 doses because of the malabsorption with the DS?  

Of course I am the only one in my family (to my knowledge) that has Hashimotos.  I know auto-immune issues can run in families but never knew that so many people in one family could have it. Makes sense in theory.  I hope you are able to keep your Hashi's under control...and not the other way around