One year Surgiversary (pics) (Sorry, LONG)

scoob
on 9/18/11 4:58 pm - Somerset, KY
I have a very large incisional hernia, which will be repaired when I'm in maintenance. It gives me absolutely NO problems but I stay aware of it always! Just looks bad but I look a hellofa lot better then before, hernia and all!

Also, a big regret was wearing my pants too tight as a teenager. Made a huge roll/muffin top and as I gained weight that's where most of it landed! It's been the hardest to get rid of. As you'll see in the following pics!

Here goes:

Before at 335lbs

12 months 209lbs -126lbs and 87 inches!

My DH and me at my DS party. More pics on my profile if you wanna look!

Ok! WOW, it's been a year, hard to believe! Let me tell you it FLEW by!

Most of you know my story. But I wanna share anywho!In Nov. 2008 I started looking into the RNY. Then I found Dr Husted right here in Somerset KY. That's how I found out about the DS! I didn't know a lot about the DS BUT what I did know sounded WAYYYYY better then RNY!

I did 6 month diet, sleep study, pulminary, heart tests, NUT appt, Psych eval. Then came the time to wait! See, I have Medicare and LCRH was NOT a COE! I was assured they'd have it "soon"! I waited, calling weekly, another year! YEAH *eye roll*!!

In April 2010 I got a call from a very special friend! She was telling me that for some reason all of Dr Husted's surgeries were being cancelled and he wouldn't be doing the DS in Somerset anymore! WTF??!!

I sit there for a second, not quite believing what I was hearing. I'll call you back is all I said! I called the CBC and ask if Dr Husted was going to quit doing the DS. They had no comment and referred me to Dr Husted's office. This broke my heart for reasons I won't get into now! I tried calling Dr H's office, no answer, as usual!

I called back said friend and told her what had happened. I was horrified! I didn't discuss it with my DH. Didn't ask anyone's opinion. I said, ya know what, I'm gonna call Dr Inman's office in Carmel IN! She was estatic! She had been worried I'd give up or settle for RNY. At one point in my life she'd of been right, but not anymore.

The next day I called Inman's office and got a seminar, consult and psych eval date, May 4th, 2010. I drove 4 hours one way!

ANOTHER road block!!

My psych eval was FLAGGED, yep it happens! I had to start counseling, support groups, and meet with their dietician once  a month for 4 to 6 months. WOW! I met with the dietician twice. I showed up with documentation of support groups I'd been attending since 2008, I had papers from a therapist. She made my next appt. The following month I was armed with more paperwork. She smiled and said, ya know what, we're good. Have your therapist fax clearance and we'll get you a DATE!! Hell to the yeah!

A few weeks later I had a date of my very own. September 15th of 2010!

I had my surgery and a small complication that landed me in a local hospital for an additional 6 days. NEVER once did I question my decision to have the DS! I just did what I had to do. I knew it would all work out, never crossed my mind it wouldn't!

I have shared my stories monthly. I do this because this site pulled me through! I read success stories. I looked at pictures. Most importantly, I LEARNED! I still do, EVERY day!

REMEMBER: When vistiting the DS forum, it takes all kinds to make the world go round! BUT if you look past the personalities you don't like you'll find a WEALTH of information and lots of good, true friends!

The DS, Dr Inman, this very forum saved my life! Hell, I have a better life now then EVER!!

I know I've babbled on and on here. Just let me say THANK YOU! For all the support, the friendship, the tough love (Sue)!! I don't think this would of happend for me had I not found this forum and all you wonderful, colorful people! I will be FOEVER grateful! MUCH Love to all of you!

I absolutely LOVE my DS!!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

kirmy
on 9/18/11 9:20 pm - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Loving you back Ruby!

Well done you skinny malinky. x

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
scoob
on 9/19/11 10:13 pm - Somerset, KY
   You said skinny!! LOL  Thanks Kirmy!

Ruby

teachmid
on 9/18/11 9:24 pm - OKC, OK
Great post, Ruby. Happy surgiversary!
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

scoob
on 9/19/11 10:13 pm - Somerset, KY
Thanks, Gail!

Ruby

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/11 9:45 pm
Congrats Ruby....You rocked your DS!!!!  What a difference a year makes...you look awesome!!
scoob
on 9/19/11 10:14 pm - Somerset, KY
Thanks so much! I hope to keep on Rockin it for some time. I want to lose at least 59 more pounds!

Ruby

Samaro ..
on 9/18/11 10:44 pm
I remember all of the disappointments you had as you were trying to jump through all of the hoops in order to get a surgery date.  It seemed to be one thing after another.  Yet you kept on pushing through.  I also remember when you made the decision to go with Dr. Inman and then finally got a date and how exciting that was.

Congratulations Ruby!  You have had one heck of a great DS post-op year and you are doing fantastically well on your journey.  Keep it up girlie.

scoob
on 9/19/11 10:16 pm - Somerset, KY
Thanks girl! It has been one hellofa ride so far. I am so thankful everyday! HUGS

Ruby

elixir
on 9/18/11 11:32 pm - MI
 You look amazing. Thank you for sharing your pics! 
 I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor