I had a scary morning....

kirmy
on 9/17/11 9:25 pm - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Careful of cipro and clindamyacin  are prime suspect in causing C-Diff.  Keep up your probiotics!!!

Also you may have had a postural drop after the shower.  **** happens!  If all your labs are ok and your BP was ok then write it off as post op ******y. We're weird machines for about 12months post op.  Eat regularly and avoid white flour carbs to avoid sudden hypoglycemic drops.

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
P. Poster
on 9/18/11 12:35 am
I saw your pic on FB, but didn't know what had happened...  OH MY GOD hunny!  How scary....  I'm glad you are ok!  I will say, for the first several months postop, a shower, at any temp, for longer than it took to wash my hair (not even get to soaping myself) would completely take it out of me.  I had to put a patio chair in the shower so I could sit down to make it through.  I had several similar experiences, and finally just said screw it, and left the chair in there for about 4 months.  I believe it was caused by a drop in BP, but never was able to confirm it...  

The DS takes an awful lot out of us, even if we are feeling great otherwise.  Remember, you are living on SO few calories, and your body malabsorbs fluids (to a slight degree) as well as calories.  Our bodies are in a pretty fragile state until we are completely healed and able to take in more nutrients and life sustaining bits.  Not to mention we are utilizing MORE resurces working overtime to heal and overcome the HUGE trauma of having our guts rearranged.  The slightest bit of exertion can cause a "perfect storm" for us, and lead to these types of issues.  Go easy on you, and toss a chair in there for the next few weeks love!   
(deactivated member)
on 9/18/11 8:21 am
I don't mean to hijack, but I'm so happy to see you back on here e******grl!!!  I have been worried sick about you since your BeriBeri scare!  Hope you are feeling well....
Nissa_M
on 9/24/11 3:59 pm - TX
Nissa_M
on 9/24/11 3:59 pm - TX
Thanks. I am doing a lot better now. The bruising is almost gone. I could have overdone it in the shower trying to shave lol. I am going to get a chair and use an electric razor for now.
pycca
on 9/18/11 1:14 am - Haslet, TX
As others have  said,, temps in showers or baths can change your body temp. cause the drop in BP and dizziness,,

With being  early out as you are, increase the liquids, (good for bladder infection) and do add the probotics for Cipro if taking that  !!

If your HBG was 10.6, would keep that in mind and recheck after increasing your supplements.
mine came up after upping my folic acid , iron, and C,  but it  took a little while.

What script iron are you one??
If the uti was not caused by Foley from surgery, it may have been REALLY not enough sipping going on,,, INCREASE THE FLUIDS !!!!

Hope you feel better !!! Other than that.  pad the bathroom floor or put pillows down :)
Nissa_M
on 9/24/11 3:57 pm - TX
I'm working on increasing my supplements, they are still a bit hard to swallow, but that is getting better. I'm on Hemocyte, I take it once a day and it's 324 mg. Dr Stewart doesn't do labs but every 6 months, so I'm going to take a list to my PCP and request them at 3 so that I can see where I am at. I still need to get my pre-op numbers from Dr. Stewarts office too so that I can compare.

I take a thyroid replacement so I'm taking my iron at night. Is this going to affect any of the other vitamins?
Diane Davis
on 9/18/11 4:42 am
I was a month out yesterday, and I still have weakness and lightheadedness while taking a shower, and I take cool showers.  I agree with putting a chair in your shower.  Our shower has a built in seat, and I use it everytime!  Be careful stepping out, too, I always feel weak at that time too.

The advice here is wonderful, so many wonderful vets!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!