How much carbs/fat can I eat?

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/11 12:30 pm
comtech5-

"All Atkins all the time" is what I try to live by as a DSer.

I'll be three years out on 2/25/12.  I am hypermalabsorptive,  with a 75 cm common channel, so 2 to 3 - 28 oz whey protein isolate shakes daily, in addition to my food intake are my insurance against protein malnutrition, which I experienced early out. They also help to keep my weight stable Vitamin and mineral supplements are non-negotiable. The bare minimum in my program: 4 multis daily, six to eight calcium citrate pills daily,  a B12 shot monthly ( I do it myself) six B1 pills weekly.  I had to decrease my iron with C to weekly, as I was getting too much iron.  Your doctor *should* give you a sheet with the units or mg's required when you have your surgery.  Vitalady also has a great vitamin schedule for DSer's.  I follow her deficiency schedule, since I am prone to them because of hypermalabsorption. 

That said, do I screw up sometimes?  Yes.  Do I work to correct the course before it gets out of hand?  Absolutely.
Generally, if I choose to eat simple carbs and/or simple sugars, I eat them at home, when I am the only one who will smell the resulting gas ( I live alone). 
Your sleeve will expand (called sleeve maturation) over the course of the first year, so you will gradually be able to eat larger quantities of food, but not as large as you previously have eaten.  A salad plate is now a dinner plate for me.  How much I'm able to eat also depends on the density of the food.  Beef can make me uncomfortably full.  Chicken, fish and other seafood and eggs sit very well, and are good sources of protein.  Tuna salad, heavy on the eggs is a good go-to food when you start eating solid food again immediately post op, and is a great DS protein source.  I try to have a bowl of tuna salad in the fridge at all times.

As for evacuations, 3 times in the morning upon rising, and I'm usually done for the day, depending on what I've eaten.

The DS gives *you* the control, it doesn't control you!  There are some lifestyle changes, but make sure you can live with those changes.   Any WLS is a highly individual choice; that's why you should research thoroughly before making your decision.
mrsannie
on 9/15/11 10:04 pm
I can sympathize with your apprehension about the diet, I too, felt that way and was terrified if I'd be satisfied and even able to follow such a diet.  Well at almost 2 years out I can tell you, it's the best decision I ever made!  My eating has changed alot and I really miss eating a sandwich now and then, but I would never go back!

I eat full fat, its actually good for us.  I can eat potatoes with no problems so occasionally I have french fries or chips, I just do it everyday.  I can eat ice cream (not the cone) but can not eat soft serve or milkshakes, they give me gas, but sometimes its worth it.  The better the ice cream the better it agrees with me.  I eat mostly gluten-free since I get issues from most breads, but its not that bad.  I just had fruit on the bottom yogurt (yum!) with gluten-free granola, delicious!

I eat all my protein, so I feel like I eat all day!  As long as I stick to protein first, my weight has been stable for over a year.

It may sound harsh, but its actually not that bad.  I have bacon and eggs for breakfast, if I am hungry I can stop at McDonalds and get 2 double cheese burgers (without the buns) no problems.  I eat cheese, meat, veggies, potatoes and drink water.  I even sneak in a candy bar, but not too often cause it gives me gas.  The gas is controllable.  I take a probiotic everyday, and try and watch it.  I know what bothers me, so I make the choice.  I usually use the bathroom 2-3 times a day, mostly in the morning.  If I eat poorly I will usually go more, but as I said before, just like pre-op I can control it.

Talk about your common channel length with your Dr. The longer the channel, usually the less symptoms you will have.  Mine is 100cc (I actually wish I made it longer!)

Good luck!  You'll do great.  Message me if you'd like more info.
Anne

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"