DS lab list VS. RNY

(deactivated member)
on 9/14/11 12:27 am - TX
I searched OH for a lab list.  I'm going to meet with my PCP next week.....tell her about my upcoming DS and see if she is willing to continue to be my PCP and run my labs.  When I searched I mostly found Vitaday's listing?   But it mentions Gastric Bypass.......so am I to assume the labs I will need drawn are the same ones that Gastric Bypassers get?  Is there anything extra we need to run?

I wish I knew more about google docs, or excel for that matter.....but I'm just not computer smart......as I think I see some spreadsheets floating around too.

thanks,
(deactivated member)
on 9/14/11 12:48 am - TX
edited to add.....i found Diana's "conversation with your PCP" and have printed it out.....the lab list is at the end.....but as I look at different ones on OH......it seems some are longer than others.  I assume the one Diana has listed in this article is the best one since she is one of the VETS!!  I guess I just want a VET to chime in here and tell me I am on the right track!    Now, if I could just get over my white coat vaso vagel syndrome about 17 to 24 vials of blood!!    Lord, now when they get to vial #3 I swear my blood just stops flowing?   Anybody ever had that happen?
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/14/11 7:15 am
 About the blood draw - even if you don't need to fast before hand, don't drink coffee or tea beforehand, and drink lots of water hours, and even the day before.

Being super hydrated makes the difference between multiple pokes, and still not having enough vials after an hour, or having one poke, and all vials filled in under 2 minutes.

I have tiny, stingy veins, and being super hydrated makes them as plump as possible. When they are big and plump with water, they are not only easier to poke, but they also they also give it up like a cheap hooker.

beemerbeeper
on 9/14/11 1:22 am - AL
This is the list I personally use and recommend:

docs.google.com/Doc

It is NOT the same as what RnY folks need.

~Becky

walter A.
on 9/14/11 8:55 am - lafayette, NJ
your haveing your surgery just about on my aniversery date of my surgery, I maybe around the hospital then also vistiting my sister. she has to have some parts of her lungs out.
(deactivated member)
on 9/14/11 10:10 am - TX
thanks beemerbeeper, I had that one, but it mentioned GB at the top so I wasn't sure......and Walter....would love to "meet" you if you are there when I am!!
vitalady
on 9/15/11 2:05 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
The ultra long list is mine. It applies to any WLS person. Even the non-malabsorptive ones, because many of the issues we have are an outcome of our morbid obesity. And it should be run pre-op, as well, since we tend to be deficient in B12, iron, calcium and D before we ever hit the table!

I formed that list over the last 17 yrs, so it might be missing some things.

The Rabkin list has a thing or two mine doesn't and they've since stopped testing a few things I have.

I only add things, never subtract. LOL This is my one and only body here and it's getting older.

I used to be freaked out by the needle. Now I realize that I hurt myself worse with a paring knife and as long as I don'****ch the blood come actually OUT, I'm fine. I can look at the vials in the rack, and then view them as "windows" into my body at which point they fascinate me. I wish I could get the results before I even get my coat back on!

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.