One thing you wish you knew then....

elixir
on 9/13/11 1:04 am - MI
 Yep. Cottonelle wipes are moist. They're the adult version of baby wipes... only flushable!

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Nina E.
on 9/13/11 8:41 am
ooh.. awesomeness in a flushable wipe. LIKE!

Nina ~~   BMI was 52, now 26.1 (normal). From size 26/28 to 10 pants and 2xl/24 shirt to xs/sm shirts. SW/CW/surgean Goal/mynew GW 322/161/180/165     I Heart MY DS!!

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 10:40 pm, edited 9/11/11 10:41 pm - Lancaster, OH
I'd been on this site for nearly 2 years before I had my DS, so I'd been "told" this multiple times:
After surgery, sip, sip, sip, walk, walk, walk, sip, sip sip.
Eat, even if you don't feel like it.
Drink, even if you don't feel like it.

Before surgery, I was all: "Tomorrow, I'll start eating right"
After surgery, I was all: "Tomorrow, I'll eat and drink more like I should."

I got sick because I became dehydrated and protein deficient.  It's a vicious, downward spiral, and you may avoid it if you force yourself to eat and drink - small amounts, but regularly - after your surgery.

Even though I'd read others' experiences, I was completely unprepared, in my head, for the lack of enthusiasm I had for eating after surgery.

edit: spelling - duh.
ann M.
on 9/12/11 12:00 am - Northern, VA
"Even though I'd read others' experiences, I was completely unprepared, in my head, for the lack of enthusiasm I had for eating after surgery."

Yes, this exactly.  I've never not wanted to eat in my life.  If I was stressed, tired, bored, whatever, I ate.  After surgery for at least the first couple / few months, eating sucked.  It was a chore.  I did it because I had to.  There was no pleasure involved.  This shocked the hell out of me.

SW / BMI / SIZE:  312 / 49.5 / 26-28W         CW / BMI / SIZE:  159.1 / 25.1/ 10-12 
I need to lose about 2 more pounds for a normal BMI .  I still seem to be slowly losing at over 2 yrs out...so may get there yet.

pawmetto.on.cloud.

on 9/11/11 11:39 pm
I want to thank everyone for their input, it gives me thoughts to keep in my mind as I go forward...
As the nurse said in my Dr's office as I sign all the consent paperwork, I am signing up for a better life.
teachmid
on 9/11/11 11:46 pm - OKC, OK
I didn't realize I didn't know how to sip and I didn't realize how difficult it would be to get my fluids in early out.

Best wishes for your surgery.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Nina E.
on 9/12/11 3:09 pm

make sure orders are ready to go for the oral pain meds in the room. the oral pain meds were my only relief.  also dont buy much food until after you wont want half the stuff you think you do. your tastes sometimes change..

Nina ~~   BMI was 52, now 26.1 (normal). From size 26/28 to 10 pants and 2xl/24 shirt to xs/sm shirts. SW/CW/surgean Goal/mynew GW 322/161/180/165     I Heart MY DS!!

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/11 3:12 am - Yorktown, VA
That some of your friendships will change, and not for the better....and that it will really hurt.

I read about it happening here, but knew that my friends were really good and true friends and that surely this would not happen to me.  I mean, I am the type of person who has few friends, but very close friends.

Well, it's happened....twice now in a fairly short period of time and it really sucks.

Rena H.
on 9/13/11 10:23 am - Spokane, WA
getting thinner doesn't fix all your problems... some of them get magnified when you aren't hiding behind your weight.
HW - 395 / SW - 358 / GW - 150