One thing you wish you knew then....

pawmetto.on.cloud.

on 9/11/11 7:51 am
Hi everyone,
I am getting ready for surgery on wed. I have read alot of information here and on other sites but have one question for the members here.... 

Is there one thing that you wish someone told you before your surgery and what was that bit of information?

Thank you
no_more_rolls
on 9/11/11 8:02 am - Jackson, MI
I'm 2 months out and loving my DS.  There are 2 things that caused me issues post-op, that I never suspected.  

1.)  The large doses of antibiotics given while you are in the hospital can cause thrush (an oral yeast infection).  It made me nauseous for weeks and took several rounds of medication to get rid of.

2.)  Do not expect to eat 90 grams of protein when you first get out of the hospital.  I stressed over that one big time.  Generally most people will eat 30 grams the first 30 days, then 60 grams around 60 days, then 90 grams around 90 days.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Heres2anewme
on 9/11/11 8:29 am - TX
That your stomach (or innards) will talk to you. I wasn't prepared for all of the strange sounds that come from me often. It is loud and at times embarassing. Had I known about this prior to surgery I would have still been there with bells on 12/17/2010 to make one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life!

The best to you on your upcoming surgery. I wish you an uneventful operation and an equally boring (but speedy) recovery!!
Jamille            ~If it's God's will for me, then it will be~
                                            I Being A Mommy!!

Mdae
on 9/11/11 8:34 am
the sounds, yes!  sometimes it feels like i have an alien in there.

also, i have a high pain tolerance.  really high.   and i felt like i wa**** by a truck - i think it was Majormom that told me that was just the DS welcome wagon. :)

wildkat
on 9/11/11 8:58 am - Boise, ID
I first want to say "congratulations", on making a huge step toward a better life!  This is my first time on this site and am really glad to have found it.  My DS was June 20, 2011, which I comsider my new birthday! 

There are two things I wish I would have known before my surgery (or at least would have paid attention to).  I had ignoed the possibility of an open procedure thinking that this usually occurred with people having over 150 lbs to lose.  My surgeon set my goal at 80 to 90 lbs, with my diabetes being the main reason for the surgery.  Imagine my surprise when I was told that they had to switch to the open procedure.  It definitely wasn't a walk in the park but the mental was the worst part which could have bee better if I had prepared myself.  The second piece of advice is that if things don't feel right, talk to the doctor.  That seems so simple but I had miserable diarrhea for a month thinking it was normal changes after the surgery and the fact I was only taking in liquids.  Turns out I had a bacterial infection which needed antibiotics for, all is well now but better communication (not assuming things), would have really helped me get better sooner.

Again, I woulddedinitely do this again - feeling great now, weight down 51 lbs, and I am amost off of my insulin which is such a gift.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

no_more_rolls
on 9/11/11 10:12 am - Jackson, MI
 Yeah I almost forgot about the diarrhea thing!  I had the same problem.  I had horrible diarrhea!  During my 6 week check-up I was asked how things were going and I said fine except I didn't realize I would have sooo many loose stools.  My surgeon looked surprised and asked how often I was going.  Oh about 6 or 7 times a day.  Come to find out I had C-Diff and needed anti-biotics.  My digestive issues are much better now...unless I carb load.
NoMore B.
on 9/11/11 10:23 am
A few things - 

1 - Getting fluids in is just as hard, if not harder, than everyone says it is.  As a pre-op I often thought people were just being big babies about drinking.  (Sorry, it is really what I thought).  I was wrong.  Your stomach is very swollen and it is a challenge to sip > 64 oz of fluid a day.

2 - It's a BIG surgery.  You will be ok in time, but it takes time.  I had three prior surgeries to this one (ectopic pregnancy, gallbladder removal, and hysterectomy).  Those were like a toenail removal in comparison to the DS.  I dont mean to scare you, you will be ok and you will get better, but expect a big surgery.  I found I turned the first corner to feeling better around 2 weeks, then again at 4 weeks.  It was months before I felt normal.  This is a Your Mileage May Vary thing, but be prepared.

3 - Your digestive system will take some time to settle down.  I often see posts from recent post ops talking about diarrhea, food intolerances, etc, worried that they will be that way for the rest of their lives..  Allow your body the time it needs to heal, and most things even out and get to a normal rhythm..

Nina E.
on 9/11/11 12:40 pm

buy tongs (you lknow for picking up meat). wrap baby wipes (unscented) around it. Grab a corner with the tongs and wrap around. youwill need to wipe. You will have a hard time doing it after the surgery. It saved my life.

if you feel nausaus after the first week you may need more acid reflux meds or are hydrated. you shold report nausea to your doc if it is a week or so out.

congrats!!

Nina ~~   BMI was 52, now 26.1 (normal). From size 26/28 to 10 pants and 2xl/24 shirt to xs/sm shirts. SW/CW/surgean Goal/mynew GW 322/161/180/165     I Heart MY DS!!

elixir
on 9/11/11 3:36 pm - MI
Maybe try some Cottonelle wipes instead. Most baby wipes aren't flush-able. Would suck being stuck plunging the toilet, or calling the plumber, if you forget and accidentally try to flush a couple baby wipes down. I have Cottonelle wipes in all three bathrooms and I keep the individually wrapped Always brand wipes (available near the feminine necessities at the market) in my purse. 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Nina E.
on 9/12/11 3:06 pm

are they moist? toilet paper just stuck to my um, well you can imagine.

good point though..  i just put them in a little trash bag. was heaven. :)

Nina ~~   BMI was 52, now 26.1 (normal). From size 26/28 to 10 pants and 2xl/24 shirt to xs/sm shirts. SW/CW/surgean Goal/mynew GW 322/161/180/165     I Heart MY DS!!