8 days away from revision surgery. Help!!!

goodkel
on 9/11/11 3:19 am
As with everything else post op, besides water you MUST get in your water, take things slow and easy and don't try to push things faster than is comfortable for you.

Best of luck on your surgery!
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Sexyvt123
on 9/11/11 3:32 am
Thanks gookel

I have my 67 oz botlle ready for my water intake after surgery.  I heard the fluid intake is hard to get in.  I got one of those bottles so I can track how much im drinking. 

Elizabeth N.
on 9/11/11 5:25 am - Burlington County, NJ
It took nearly two months for me to build up to everything I was taking at the time. I never chewed or crushed anything, as the chewables gagged me. I did okay with a very few cal citrate chews, though they were super sweet to me. Those went off the market, though. The lozenge type chewables (such as from Bariatric Advantage) were disgusting.

I did a little bit of liquid calcium citrate for a while, too, and Citrical Petites, and Upcal D (that was before we knew that their labeling lied). I dissolved plain old cal cit horse pills in a little water and chugged them and that worked just as well as Upcal D or liquids.

I used Twinlabs Daily One with no iron for my multi for quite a while because it was a capsule rather than a tablet and therefore easier to swallow. Took it twice a day. That's the first thing I started taking, probably within a week or so of surgery, along with my regular med schedule.

If I were in your shoes, I would start with a multi as the foundation of everything. Whoever put Flintstones in that packet should be smacked. NO FLINTSTONES. Chewables are NEVER as inclusive as pills. But if a chewable is what you can do, then do it at first, planning to switch over to pills/capsules ASAP.

If I were to list my opinion of an absolutely bare bones minimum of where to start with vites, as compared to Vitalady's complete plan, it would be:

1. ADULT multivitamin, Centrum type (I use the Kirkland brand now, but there are many), in 2-4 times the adult daily dosage. One twice a day, work up to two twice a day.

2. Calcium CITRATE, 2400 mg daily, which is four two pill doses of the regular Citrical type pill.

3. Zinc 50 mg twice a day, with 2 of the calcium doses.

4. Iron, preferably the carbonyl iron (Vitalady Tender for example), 60-120 mg daily. This kind constipates me the least. Your mileage may vary. I would not waste money on any type of iron that starts with "ferrous". They all kill my gut and the absorbability is dubious.

5. Copper, at least 2 mg and probably more, taken with the iron.

6. Tender D3, 50,000 IU daily (one pill)

7. Tender A, 25,000 IU daily (one pill)

8. A B-100 complex, which is available in many brands.

That, to me, is a skeleton supplement regimen. Barest basics. Don't wait six months for labs if you go this route. Get 'em at three months and start tweaking from there.

I have come to the conclusion that it's better to start with a more comprehensive program and work your way down in numbers of pills, rather than wait to see which things get deficient and have to build the buggers up again. But I realize that shelling out however many hundred dollars up front for the starter package is daunting for some people.

Don't worry too much about getting every single supplement in immediately. Right out of surgery you need HYDRATION HYDRATION AND MORE HYDRATION. Then you need PROTEIN. Start with what you can tolerate and work your way up. But if it gets to be a couple months and you can't do more than a couple vites, that's a problem.

Frankie
on 9/12/11 12:32 am - NY
You will do great, listen to the vets and remember to walk, sip and rest.  I will call your sister on Monday and come visit on Tuesday.

You are officially 7 days away from being "switched".

Frankie

Sexyvt123
on 9/12/11 12:52 am
I know.  I got a call from my PCP and she finall gave me clearence for surgery.  I had to do a stress test before she clear me.  She was concern with the chest pain I was having but we all agree its the Lapband causing all my discomfort.  So im all set for surgery now.  Just order those protien packets you told me about and I will order my vit from vialady next week after surgery since I wont be taking them right away.