Dr Dakin anyone?

NoMore B.
on 9/11/11 10:16 am
You're right, any surgeon could figure out what was done by reading this.

I need a layman's translation on something, for my own understanding.  I read elsewhere that this micropouch is a grape sized pouch entirely removed from the rest of the stomach, not just stapled.  I assume that's where the glue comes into play?  It didnt make sense to me that it was referred to as entirely separate and not just stapled.  Isn't a staple line in an RNY pouch intact?

Could that be the issue on taking down the pouch?

Larra mentioned on the other thread that the issue might be the location of the pouch, perhaps a blood supply issue dealing with the part of the stomach used instead of the traditional RNY pouch?

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 10:27 am - San Jose, CA

I'm at the limits of what I know.  This is a transected surgery ("e) transecting the proximal end of the stomach at the junction of the cardia and the fundus"), but I think the glue is for sealing all of the staple lines after stapling WHICH IS DONE AFTER TRANSECTION ("h) closing the gastrotomy and jejunotomy incisions without inverting the staple line at the apex of the micropouch; i) applying fibrin glue over the closure specified in h)").

I don't know about the issues with taking it down - seems to me to be a matter of surgical skill.

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 10:30 am, edited 9/11/11 10:32 am
ginany
on 9/11/11 11:41 am - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12
What type of surgery did you have before the DS?
Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/11 10:04 am
newyorkbitch
on 9/11/11 10:37 am
Gina,  go speak to Herron and Dakin (if they are on your insurance),  before you contemplate spending a lot (a lot) of money to be a self-pay patient in another state.

Herron (at Sinai,  works with Inabnet) is one of the most experienced DS surgeons in the country - on the Gagner team since 1999,  along with Pomp.

He's a really easy guy to talk to - smart and direct.  No bull****

NoMore B.
on 9/11/11 10:40 am
 Did you mean to reply to Gina with this, because you replied to me.

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 11:23 am - San Jose, CA
Do you have any knowledge of why we haven't seen a new Herron DS patient on OH for several years?  It was my understanding that he was no longer performing the DS, or only a VERY few of them, for some reason.
newyorkbitch
on 9/11/11 11:28 am
He does perform it,  but very very selectively.    As perhaps it should be.  I talked to him about this in late 2010.

The DS is performed on too many people who should not have it.

NoMore B.
on 9/11/11 11:30 am
 Diana, i agree.  I asked the same question to NYB a few months back, because I noticed her pattern of referring people to him. I traded emails with Herron while looking for a surgeon and he swayed me away from the DS in email.  A few of the NYC DS'ers I know had the same experience.

I'm not sure he does many virgin DS's.  No way would I recommend him for a revision.