DS approved by Tricare? Anyone?!

vwilliams
on 9/15/11 2:53 am
Thank you for responding!! Madigan stated that I was "too far" out of region...whatever that means. I live in CT and I am willing to travel to WA! She kept asking me well what if you have complications? Who is going to do your follow up? Can someone that had the DS done at Madigan and was not living in WA respond. I called about ten times, every person with the exception of one receptionist was RUDE. Two people told me "I never heard of people coming from out of town" but I found at least 3 on this site and one scheduled for the DS in Nov. I don't know what the problem is, but no one even returned a call to my PCM who put the referal in, twice mind you. And every time I called, the people I spoke with didn't even know wth I was talking about with the type of revision. Should I call and ask for the doctor himself? LOL
Elizabeth N.
on 9/15/11 9:11 am - Burlington County, NJ
I don't know how to get through to people with brains at Madigan, but I do know that cross-regional boundaries are porous. Active duty family members get referred to other regions for care all the time. Totally common.

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 4:15 am - TX
Sandra,  all info is helpful here and we need to know of more DS surgeons that is for sure....so good to know about Dr. Carter. 

However, original poster has been in touch with Madigan and Dr. Martin and is being told she doesn't qualify.  So not to speak for her, but she is looking to find a "private" surgeon that Tricare will pay..........THAT will not happen.....many tried before me and I just tried 3 months ago. 

So bottom line is if you have TRICARE and want the DS right now your ONLY option is Madigan.       Tricare pays differently in a MTF than in a private setting.....which is why they will "allow" the DS at an MTF but NOT with a private surgeon.

Please don't feel that you weren't helpful!