Long term effects of the DS?

PattyL
on 9/4/11 1:59 am
 I would have had the DS at any age.  If it means a reduced life span, so be it, but as Diana said, the first one lived to a ripe old age.  As did many of the DS pioneers who weren't fat, they were survivors of wartime injuries.  That's how docs learned they COULD shorten intestines and remove part of the stomach without killing you!

For me it was all about QUALITY of life.  Did I really want to live with all the comorbs and difficulty getting around?  I know you are young now and young is invincible but, how many more years would it be before you need the scooter at Walmart?  How long till you get diabetes or blow out a knee?  Not health related but, how many Saturday nights do you want to be the only one without a date?  Or perhaps you would like to marry, have kids, and be alive to see them grow up.  And actually want to be able to DO things with them?  Fat is a prison too.

I think life is much more worth living as a normal size person.  There are concerns and maintenance issues but I think it's easier than staying fat.
(deactivated member)
on 9/4/11 2:30 am - San Jose, CA

"the first one lived to a ripe old age"

Just to be clear - I don't know that he's dead yet!  Maybe someone could call Hess and ask him (HINT: EN?).

Elizabeth N.
on 9/4/11 4:14 am - Burlington County, NJ
Eventually my previous response will show up here :-). Calling him on a Sunday afternoon MIGHT work this time of year, but as soon as college football is up and running FORGET IT lol. He's a big Ohio State fan.

But to reiterate: As of January 2010 his "Number One" alive, well, of a good weight and doing fine.

Jolly Rancher
on 9/5/11 6:19 am
Are you back in the clinker?
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Elizabeth N.
on 9/5/11 6:45 am - Burlington County, NJ
Yup.

Lori F.
on 9/4/11 3:45 am - Chula Vista, CA
I have to tell you, this thread started to frighten me...until I got to your post. Fat IS a prison. I am 44 in the last year, I have lost so much health, energy and mobility that I can't imagine what I will be like at 50 if things keep on this way. It hit me all at once, and I can't even grocery shop or clothes shop at all. I can't get around at work, and if I weren't so embarrassed, I WOULD get on that scooter at Walmart!!! Even IF  the life span is about 23 years... it will be a  GREAT 23 years with my kids if I can live life to the fullest. I may live another 23 years FAT, but it will be a  miserable  23 and in a haze of narcotics just to get up each day. I wouldn't remember it anyway. And I'm sure I won't live much more than 23 years immobile. Why not make 'em GREAT with a DS??? I'M IN (now to get insurance to approve...). 
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
Emily F.
on 9/4/11 3:52 am, edited 9/4/11 4:09 am
If I'm remembering correctly, the ds has been done since 88 or early 90s so its not that no one has lived longer than 23 years, we just dont' have that data. There's a big difference.

I see absolutely no reason why someone would die from the DS if their labs were kept up and good values.

Next, if I had not had a ds, I would not live 23 years at all plus they would have been miserable years of embarrassing my children, withdrawing from life and being unhappy.

I fully plan on taking care of myself, ds and all, and living more than 23 years and running around with my grandchildren, God willing and the creek don't rise.
edited to add the chemo question. I think most chemo is put in a port line, not through digestion.
Jennifer D.
on 9/4/11 4:08 am
I was going to say the same thing. That number is likely based on how long the surgery has been around - not the patient. I also agree with the fact that life span remains based on how well you take care of yourself (vitamins etc.)
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
carebearsuzzan
on 9/4/11 7:11 am - CA
yes, I did find that chemo is sc***tive , not digested, so I have got my answers, I just worry about things, and I do know all the benefits of the DS that's why I have decided on it. I have a very sick mother on dialysis and diabetic , chf, strokes, clogged arteries trust me I know I DONT WANT TO END UP THERE:)..that's why I posted this to get every ones opinion so my fears would be distinguished , I may feel stupid for asking lol but at least I will go in to surgery soon knowing as much as I can, I am so thankful to you all for your answers I cant wait for my DS
DianaRR
on 9/4/11 4:06 am - CA
Addressing the Chemo question--my mom had breast cancer and chemo and radiation (and is doing great 6 years later). The chemo was put in as a shot in the arm, not a pill, so I don't think that the ds will affect it.
One of the side affects they worried about with the chemo was bleeding ulcers, so she took acid reducers by pill with the chemo. I think that the ds is the best choice because, if I do get cancer, they can do an endoscopy--which they can't with RNY.
I hope this helps.
Most Active
Recent Topics