Surgery Tuesday (9/6), and I'm scared:-(

Nurse N.
on 9/3/11 2:56 am

So I'm having surgery Tuesday, and my surgeon's office called yesterday to tell me that my time changed from noon to 8. So after I got off the phone with the surgery scheduler, I've had this pounding headache. I know it's anxiety and nerves, because my surgery is so close now. When doing my pre-op testing, the doctor cleared me for surgery and stated that I'm a low risk, because I have no co-morbidities and my BMI is 49. I don't remember being this scared when I went in to get this stupid crapband. I've got things squared away for my two daughters (9 & 10) concerning school and dinner and after school programs, while I'm in the hospital. Thankfully I have a great support system! Anyways, thanks for letting me vent, just need some prayers and critters swinging for my nerves to calm down.

Thanks,

Nika

Lapband September 2007------>Revision to Duodenal Switch September 6, 2011

*A SETBACK IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR A COMEBACK!

DianaRR
on 9/3/11 3:39 am - CA
Wishing you a safe and easy surgery experience.
It will be great to be switched!
Nurse N.
on 9/3/11 12:56 pm
Thank you so much Diana! Can't wait to join you!
(deactivated member)
on 9/3/11 3:53 am
I would be concerned if you weren't anxious.  Of course you are!  The lapband that we had was surgery but it was minor in comparison - and you're a nurse so I'm sure you knew that going in. 

BUT, remember that you are in good hands.  I'm assuming you trust your surgeon and her team (if not, cancel now!) and you know Dr. Inman has an good reputation. 

This is major surgery, we should all be anxious going in if we really did our homework.  Your fear tells me you did.  And THAT tells me that you have prepared the best you can, your surgeon is vetted and ready, and you are going to do great when you're switched.

Take a deep breath, have some faith in the people that will be caring for you and let's get that insipid little plastic nightmare out of you! 

I wish you a very boring recovery. 

PLUS, they will give you some really good stuff for the anxiety!  Just tell them the moment you get there and they will fix you up!  You'll fall asleep cozy and happy and wake up with the beginning of a new and exciting chapter in your life.

Prayers for you!  Hope to meet you on the losers bench soon. 

Oh and PS, do me a favor and repeat all this to me when I get close to my surgery date and start freaking out too, okay? 
Nurse N.
on 9/3/11 1:03 pm
Thank you so much Lynmarie. I will save this to my archive and copy and paste it, when your time arrives. LOL You are so right, I've done extensive research and that explains my anxiety. I will definitely get there and tell them to bring on the Ativan!

Thanks Again!
elixir
on 9/3/11 4:56 am - MI
I think the nerves are normal. I had a bad case of anxiety about three or four days before the surgery, then the day before the surgery I was just anxious to get in there and get it over with. The morning of surgery I was totally zen. I knew it was the big day and I was relaxed and ready for it.

I hope your surgery is a breeze for the surgeon and that you recover swiftly!

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Julie R.
on 9/3/11 5:11 am - Ludington, MI
 I was totally zen up to and the day of my surgery.   I was totally zen until they rolled me into the OR, having forgotten to give me my pre-op anti-anxiety meds that they normally hand out, and I saw them laying out those biggggg longgggggg instruments and scopes.  THEN I got anxious.   Fortunately, it was only for about twenty seconds, and I was out like a light, LOL.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Nurse N.
on 9/3/11 1:05 pm

Thanks a bunch elixir! I hope get zen while rolling into surgery. If not I will definitely request something to get there.

Thanks again for the well wishes!

Lapband September 2007------>Revision to Duodenal Switch September 6, 2011

*A SETBACK IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR A COMEBACK!

Julie R.
on 9/3/11 5:13 am - Ludington, MI
 You have a highly experienced surgeon, you are lower risk, and you've done your research.   You're going to do just fine!      Godspeed, honey.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Nurse N.
on 9/3/11 1:07 pm
Julie! Thank you so much, you are so right Godspeed, that's my prayer!

Nika