Dr. Sudan patients - is he thorough with labs?

Tabitha70
on 8/30/11 10:10 am
Hi Everyone.
As I posted before, I am having trouble with my PCP ordering my labs.
Dr. Husted will order my labs but I would like to have someone local that knows something about me and my surgery. That makes me feel better 'just in case' I have an emergency someday.
I thought Dr. Sudan at Duke would probably be the best local place to go but I don't want to waste my time if he doesn't do thorough labs. My goal is to find someone local that takes an interest in my health. I have always gotten VitaLady's suggested labs but my PCP never read them, I just posted them here for advice.
Can someone tell me about their experience with Dr. Sudan and labwork?  Is he open to VitaLady's labs and vitamin regimen? 
Please feel free to reply here or PM me.
Thanks so much in advance!

*************************************************************************************

RNY 11/00
with starting BMI of 57. Most lost was 52% EWL and BMI of 41.
Gained back every single pound.
Revision to DS 12/08 with starting BMI of 57 (again)
Over 3 years DS post-op, currently BMI of 26.3 
200lbs. gone as of 6/27/10 !!  I'm HALF of the old me as of 10/8/10 !! ONEderland 3/7/11 !!

LadyDi1970 and I are Angel buddies! 

newyorkbitch
on 8/30/11 10:25 am, edited 8/30/11 10:25 am
You do not need a surgeon.  You need a PCP who is willing to listen to you.

Have you considered asking Dr Husted to contact your PCP?

Tabitha70
on 8/30/11 10:47 am
Hello.
Yes, he is fine with talking with my PCP and has before. I am not in an urgent situation with nowhere to turn, I know that I can still get the labs done that way but I'm just so frustrated that my PCP doesn't take an interest in the DS at all. I've been going to him for years before my surgery and of course since my surgery and I doubt he'd even be able to tell you what surgery I had and would still call it a gastric bypass. I should have switched to someone different a long time ago.
I am happy for, but also a bit jealous when I read of others finding doctors that will work with them and I want that too but don't know how to find it. That's why I thought Dr. Sudan might be good but also realize it is probably overkill to go to a surgeon for labs. 

I think I'm just sick of doctors right now. In between taking my parents to their many medical appointments I'm dealing with a fractured tooth and going through Cigna's hoops to get to the right place to have it fixed. 3rd dentist appointment since last week and no relief yet and I'm cranky.  Bleh.
Ok, Off-topic vent over.

*************************************************************************************

RNY 11/00
200lbs. gone as of 6/27/10 !!  I'm HALF of the old me as of 10/8/10 !! ONEderland 3/7/11 !!

newyorkbitch
on 8/31/11 10:44 am
Sounds like you need a new PCP.  At your first appointment,  bring a list of the labs you need (I'd suggest vitalady's list) and discuss it all and tell that doctor that this is what you expect and give your reasons and let him/her know that you expect him/her to educate him/herself about your surgery,  your lab requirements,  and your nutritional issues.  If he/she is not willing or interested,  move on and keep looking.
healthierme
on 8/31/11 7:54 am - Triangle, NC
Dr. Sudan was not thorough when I first had surgery, so I've been having my PCP run my labs. There's an NP (or PA?) that works with him now, and I hear she might be more on top of things in regards to labs/vitamins.

HW 300ish / SW 280 / CW 162.8/ GW 140?

Tabitha70
on 8/31/11 10:12 am
Thank-you for the info...and hey! Your Mii looks like my Mii!

RNY 11/00

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/11 11:31 am - Yorktown, VA
No.

I will admit that I haven't seen him in almost a year (my one year followup), but he balked at vitalady's labs and said they were not all necessary and that my insurance company would scream at him.  I went "around" him and had  my PCP order them all and had NO issues with my insurance company.  I was also deficient in one of the labs he said were unnecessary and I showed him this.  I had no problems taking the results in to him and arguing with him about them.  I'm stubborn like that!  LOL!

So, I say get a new PCP who will order them.
Tabitha70
on 9/11/11 1:37 am
I just saw this reply and wanted to thank-you Tessy. I have an appointment with a new PCP at the end of the month. Crossing my fingers they will be a better match!

RNY 11/00