WOW Moment - and not the good kind

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/11 11:56 pm
I'm still pre-op so I haven't had the benefit of any good WOW moments, but I'm looking forward to them.

I did however have some not so great WOW moments this week and since I can't really share these with anyone else who would understand, I figured I would put them here.

My WOW moment is this  - WOW, I am effing fat. 

Now that seems strange to say, of course I'm fat.  But in the last few weeks I had some real eye-openers.

1.  Cleaning up the yard after Irene came to visit was a challenge.  It was 91 degrees, muggy and the sun was beating down.  WOW I'm out of shape.  I was sweating buckets of water.  Seriously, if we were in a drought, I could have solved the problem in one afternoon.  I couldn't catch my breath and - here's the worst WOW ....

2.  WOW my fat belly gets in the way!  I kept bending over to pick up sticks and things and was shocked how much that thing was bumping into me.  I began to think how much better I would feel without this Oreo Cookie Fat Pillow in the way.  Yes, that's it's name.  Since the Oreo company contributed so much to it, I thought it only appropriate to give them naming rights. 

3.  My cholesterol is crazy high even while fasting and there is a history of vascular disease in my family.  WOW, that's not good.

4.  Just had a sleep study because my big fat neck is apparently trying to choke me to death me at night.  It's like the fat is ganging up on me.  I think it knows what I'm contemplating and is planning a rebellion.  WOW my fat and I are in a war.

I have had so many questions about this surgery and whether or not I should do it.  I always considered myself a "lightweight" because my BMI is about 37 and I wondered if I was being selfish and inconsiderate to my family by risking my life for this surgery.   Well, I have come to realize that I am by no means light and if I continue in this manner, I will certainly be 300-400lbs in no time.  Particularly once this evil ring is removed.  

So my real WOW moment today is this:  WOW, I really can't continue to live like this.  I really hope I'm approved.  

Thanks for letting me get it out.  
pycca
on 8/30/11 12:59 am - Haslet, TX
Life is soooooo much better without the CRAP BAND !! 

And no you can't continue to live like that .. it is a miserable way....

I had mine for 5 years and it caused a huge mass in the stomach. My body fought it so much it caused it's own mess !! LOL

But even in recovery , under drugs I still has such a relief of being able to swallow !!  and of course the rest of the bennies, that left over this 18 months !!   LOL

Good luck and I will keep my fingers crossed for you !!!
Sher Bear Mama
on 8/30/11 1:16 am

C, I totally relate!  You're headed in the RIGHT direction now.

Things will get better.

Love, 

Sher-

Sher--the bear mama

Imissthe80s
on 8/30/11 1:50 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Lynmarie-
You survived the hurricane which makes me super glad! I can't remember if you've said or not, but are there any known problems you are having with the band other than poor weight loss? Bands give me the creeps because they are like little ticking time bombs and you never know when they are going to strike! Hey, are you any closer to getting approved? What stage of the game are you in? I read so many stories, they kinda blur sometimes. 

One ring to erode them all! Okay, maybe not, but you get it.

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/11 5:39 am
Oh the insidious little piece of plastic is causing me all kinds of issue.  I have a flipped port and "something"  with my esophagus.  They saw it on the barium swallow, thinking it might be a diverticulum.  I have an endoscopy this Friday, so we'll see.  I have constant heartburn and I have a hard time getting proteins down sometimes because I have 4ccs in a 4cc band and they can't unfill me because my port is really, really flipped. 

My insurance is making me do 6 months of supervised dieting (just the epitome of stupid) and my 3rd month appointment will be in September.  However, if the sleep study shows my apnea has worsened or if the esophagus issue is worse, then Dr. Sudan said he would petition to do it sooner rather than later.  Issue is, my BMI is a little lower so I have a fight ahead of me.  I'll know more this Friday. 

I would not wish the band on my very worst enemy.  I just don't understand how it's still on the market. 
Imissthe80s
on 8/30/11 5:58 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Oh, Lynmarie, I hope you can get that blasted thing out of there without waiting the entire six months.  I mean, why give it any more air time than it has already had, because it could be causing your poor little esophagus more and more hurt each passing day.  How awful that you are stuck with the 4cc fill! It's absurd: both the waiting and the dumb band! Anyway, more hugs to you!

k9ophile
on 8/30/11 2:11 am
I predict a change in your WOWS!  Critters swinging for your approval.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/11 5:41 am
Thank you!
Imissthe80s
on 8/30/11 5:59 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
K9- I love it!

beemerbeeper
on 8/30/11 2:13 am - AL
WOW.  You are going to be a great DSer.

~Becky