Seeking Info (2 stage DS, going for 2nd half)

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/11 8:00 am
Hello everyone. Long time no see.

Well it's been a year since I had my VSG. (had to have 2 stage op cos bmi was 93 and only surgeon that would touch me would only do 2 stage)

Anyways, Im down to a bmi of 69, lost 150ish lbs.  I stopped losing in about February. Saw the surgeon Aug 12 and I asked to be put on the waiting list, but they denied me saying I needed to wait longer as they had no record of my plateau since they saw me in Dec and weight loss stopped March time.

I can eat.  Not stuff my face binge eat, but I can eat.

The waiting list with my surgeon is a YEAR!!! They agreed to see me in Nov to see if they will put me on said list. I am in the UK and on the NHS so it's not like I can just up and change to another surgeon. Besides, my surgeon is the best for high bmi peeps like me (still)

Now my concern is, Im a year out + 3 months till Im on the list + 1 year waiting....what the hell am I going to do with my huge sleeve???? Is there any research out there to support a re-sleeve when the 2nd stage is performed?

I've been on Google for about 12 hours today (not joking, lol) trying to find evidence. All I could find was that the second stage is usually done 12-18 months post op....and by the time I am done waiting I am going to be 27 months post op. 

I'm furious!!!!  HELP!!!!
MsBatt
on 8/26/11 8:14 am
I don't know if this will do any good, but *I* would gather info about the increased efficacy of doing the two stages within a limited time-frame and see if I couldn't get things rushed up. Talk to Diana Cox about this---she's the most likely to have this info.
(deactivated member)
on 8/26/11 8:15 am
*screams* ohhhh DIANA!!!! lol
kirmy
on 8/26/11 8:19 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Hi Chick I'm a Patel patient as well and had a BMI of 54 ish when  I had my DS.  Because I was under 60 BMI the inter-operative risk was less however it still took 11.5hrs.  I had a massive inter-operative bleed from my spleen and had what I can only assume was a mini-stroke TIA or a mother ****** of a reaction to my anesthetic.  I couldn't read of write for about a month and my memory is still **** but I'm now a size 10 UK (size 8 USA) and healthy as a bull.

The point of this all is that you were and remain a really high risk patient due to your BMI.  The intestinal component of this surgery will defiantly kick start your weight loss and then some but my concern is why has your loss stopped?

I am a compulsive eater and am assuming you are as well with your starting BMI so has this taken control of your life again?  You need to go right back to basics to shrink your stomach i.e. protein shakes and small portion sizes. You also need to get a grip on carbohydrates because they are going to be the enemy. 

I found cognitive behavioral therapy very helpful in addressing some of my impulses.  Maybe it can help you too!  Mr Patel knows his **** and is quite right in making sure you're fit enough to go through the really difficult part of the DS.  This is a very dangerous operation and you still have a really high BMI and consequently are going to be a difficult ventilation during surgery and a high risk for things like rhabdomyolysis to name but one complication.   Removing the outer curvature of the stomach is the very easy part....reanastamosing the small intestine is incredibly difficult and time consuming and the longer you're under the higher the risks. 

I wish I could give you a quick fix but this time round you need to do the whole food tracking nightmare dieting to get yourself fit enough to be operated on.  You are very lucky...I had to pay.  I would have given my left tit to have it on the NHS so I'm thrilled you got the benefit of this.  Be patient and know all is as it should be.  Good luck love and welcome.

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
(deactivated member)
on 8/26/11 8:31 am
I know, i know! lol. I have a journal to track my food as it does help with my ED. Also I am being referred for group therapy for my ED, but it does not have a hold on me like preop. 

I focus on protein, but not always avoding carbs either.  In my research today, I did a lot of bookmarking, lol, I found the super duper serious fattys like me are expected to lose around 30-50% of EWL with the sleeve.  I'm at 35% or something. So Im on target, Ive just stopped losing.

Something that will help, is I have been given support for an apronectomy (NOT A TUMMY TUCK, lol, so many people think it is plastics, but its not!!!) My belly hangs to my knees and prevents even the simplist of exercises.  So its kinda a chicken vs egg situation. Which will come first? The apronectomy which will allow me to exercise and be safer for the DS or will I have the DS first allowing me to lose more weight to get the most out of the apronectomy.

But you are right. I need to get the carb monster under control. At this moment I have chicken breasts and chicken thighs thawing to cook tomorrow so I have protein to munch on. :)

Thanks for listening and the gentle kick up the ass :)
kirmy
on 8/26/11 8:49 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Sister the apronectomy will change your life!  You thought about doing some water aerobics?  It is amazing for your body as you're weightless and you'll burn calories like a bush fire.

I ******g hate dieting which is why I had the DS so I could eat the way I wanted to without shame. You are doing a fantastic job but I'm guessing you'll be looking at a BMI of mid 50's to be an easy option for Patel.  Call Beth and ask to come in and see him in his offices and explain your fears.  Make sure you bring your journal and evidence of exercise no matter how small.  These will go a long way into convincing him you're heading towards the table.

Don't ever give up!

Stick about and keep us posted on yourself.

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
J G.
on 8/26/11 4:57 pm

Dondra, chin up, girl!  You are 153 lbs lighter and can do much more now.  Pool exercise would be great.  I lke the idea of getting the apronectomy now.  (I'm unclear on whether you have and say in getting this now???)

April M.
on 8/26/11 8:21 am - MI
I don't know about any research supporting it, but my surgeon told me that he would measure my sleeve when he did my 2nd part, and if it was "significantly" stretched out, he would do a re-sleeve at the same time. Luckily, I was able to have my part 2 only 4 months after the 1st part, and so hadn't even had time to stretch it out, even if I had wanted to.

I'm also interested to hear from other 2 part DSers, as they seem to be so few and far between. It wasn't my first choice either, but when my surgeon opened me up, my liver was so fatty and enlarged that it had engulfed other organs and needed  a "rest" before the other, more taxing, part of the surgery.

~April~                                             5'7" 
       2 Part DS                   BMI: S/C/G    59.3/33.5/24.9   

Part 1: 3/14/11                HW/SW#1/SW#2/CW/GW      
    Part 2: 7/14/11                  
379/366/319/214/

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/11 8:33 am
I know!!!! We are a rare breed. You are luck you got yours so quick. I am sooo jealous, lol.

When I see them in 3 months I may plead a bit with them and if they want me to wait longer I am going to ask for a resleeve at the time they finally do the DS.

From what I hear, my liver was good stuff, lol.  My surgeon doesn't require a preop diet, but they wanted me to lose some weight first so I was on a liquid diet...and only managed to lose 20lbs :( I suck!
prettypixels
on 8/26/11 3:02 pm
 20 lb weight loss pre-op is fantastic.  You so do not suck!  You would not talk about a friend that way, don't talk about yourself that way!  You are doing amazing!!!!!
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!