deer meat

newyorkbitch
on 8/26/11 9:08 pm
"...big pieces, low and slow. Thin pieces, hot and quick..."

Yes yes yes.

I love venison.
MsBatt
on 8/26/11 7:55 am
Whenever I get a deer processed, I have most of it ground with a LOT of pork fat, since it's so lean. (Adds flavor, too!) Some of it I have made into sausage, as well.

The big pieces I treat like I would  beef roast---cook slow and overnight. I like to put it in a roaster with onions and Rotel tomatoes, then add some potatoes, carrots, green beans, etc. a couple of hours before serving. (My friends think it *is* beef. *grin*)

But the tenderloin is definitely the best part---sliced thin and fried fast.
Elizabeth N.
on 8/26/11 8:08 am - Burlington County, NJ
How's it cut?

What my mom used to do with wild game is soak it in milk (apparently reduces the gamey taste), dredge it in seasoned flour and fry it in bacon grease, very hot so it got a crust on each side, then turn it down to simmer and cook through. Add milk or cream to the drippings (and possibly a little more thickening agent) for a country gravy.

The important thing about making gravy right is to take your time cooking it so that you cook all the fat into it. People get way too rushed on their gravies nowadays.

I hate venison with a passion (ate too much of the crap growing up), but enjoy elk prepared this way.

Or just marinate it death and put it on the grill. Give it a high acid marinade, and if the cuts are more than half an inch thick, poke them good with a fork or a tenderizing tool first.

Sarah F.
on 8/26/11 8:39 am, edited 8/25/11 8:42 pm
Love, Love, Love ELK

Vension is usally leaner. I wrap everything i can grill or broil in Bacon. But cutting thin and beating with a mallet and frying it sounds like a great idea.

usally durning post processing we have a lot of sausage made. The butcher adds pig or beef fat and this is the best way to eat the vension. I like the slightly spicy sausage.

I never thought to ask - Vets can you still eat spicy food? I love Spicy Thai, Mexican, Sushi, okay everything!!!

Sarah
Elizabeth N.
on 8/27/11 1:34 am - Burlington County, NJ
It took a while, but now I can generally eat as spicy as I want, which is somewhere between wimpy and moderate for spice lovers--as long as I'm taking my Prilosec. That's a recent change with the Prilosec. I've developed a tiny bit of reflux, nothing huge or anything though.

Northcountrygirl
on 8/26/11 11:03 am
I like to mix it half and half with ground beef or ground pork.  I mix in an onion soup packet, egg, dried bread crumbs.  I pat half into a loaf pan add thick chunks of cheddar cheese and a few strips of bacon pat on the other half of ground meat mixture top with good bbq sauce and more bacon and bake until done.  Taste like a bacon cheese burger only better. 
Crazeru
on 8/26/11 11:17 am
Fry in bacon grease, after dredging with seasoned flour.  I don't mind the gameyness.  Grew up with it.  Moose roasts need to be wrapped in bacon. 

Jerky - soak in garlic, worchestire sauce/teriyaki/a1/bbq... then do layers on wax paper with salt, pepper, garlic powder on large cookie sheet and leave in the fridge for a few days, then either hang to dry or use a dehydrator or oven very low.   We'd string it over the sink, takes a few days to a week to dry out, store sealed.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

gak
on 8/26/11 1:23 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
sausage and jerky would be my favs. there are tons of recipes online for venison depending on what you like.  Enjoy ! 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

marvmissy
on 8/26/11 2:29 pm - MO
I love to make deer jerky or cook the steak with cream of mushroom soup.  YUMMY!

J G.
on 8/26/11 5:07 pm
My friend says it makes great meat balls.  She uses 1/2 ground beef.