OT - Earthquake!

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/11 4:31 am
Wow, did anyone else on the East Coast feel that?  Thought when I moved from CA I was done with them! 
maryc543
on 8/23/11 4:40 am
I'm in Northern NJ and it shook here....  just for a few minutes, but definitely felt it!  No damage to the building I'm in, other than some papers off of shelves, etc....     Maintenance men are checking the structure  right now  (I work in a long term care facility)........   Hope everyone else had it as mild!   Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

mariposantos
on 8/23/11 4:42 am - Raleigh, NC
We felt it in Chapel Hill, NC.  Just some tremors here, but it was clearly an earthquake!

Pamela
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."  ~  Henry Ford  ~

Elizabeth N.
on 8/23/11 4:42 am - Burlington County, NJ
Yup, sure did. Packed an evac bag and filled water jugs. Damned glad I live in a tiny town so I don't have to deal with dense population in panic.  (Evac bag highly unlikely to be needed, of course, but old education came flooding back lol.)

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/11 4:52 am
You know that evac bag is always a good idea.  We just had the earthquake and now Hurricane Irene is heading right for my door on Saturday.  I may keep one packed even after this mess is over.
Elizabeth N.
on 8/23/11 5:02 am - Burlington County, NJ
Yeah, I suppose I should do a proper one too.

Sher Bear Mama
on 8/23/11 4:46 am
Welcome to my world! Born and raised in sunny CA.

Sher-
Sher--the bear mama

Sarah F.
on 8/23/11 4:49 am
How Big was the quake?
We have so many same ones in San Deigo, i can't tell the difference from a big truck driving by or an earthquake
(deactivated member)
on 8/23/11 5:17 am
It's so funny, I lived in CA when I was little so I hear ya!

It was tiny in comparison, about 5.9 ,but literally the world has shut down.  No cell service, planes grounded but no reports of serious damage yet.  I don't suspect there will be any.  I think Hurricane Irene is more of a threat.

I just felt the house rocking and was like "hmm, I need to level that dryer it's shaking the whole house."  Then when I got up to turn the dryer off I felt it big time.  Only lasted a few seconds but definitely noticed. 
(deactivated member)
on 8/23/11 4:58 am
Felt it in DC.. 5.8-6.0 centered in Mineral, VA.  We evacuated bldgs and waiting for aftershocks.

All is ok here in my house.

Hugs,
Ratkity