Anyone take Floradix liquid iron or something similar??

Violet S.
on 8/22/11 11:26 pm - NY
Hi!
I'm 3 yrs post-DS and 3 months pregnant (my 3rd baby, but my first post-WLS pregnancy)... All my labs are looking great (I'm an insanely anal-retentive supplementer!) except iron.
I had a series of Venofer Iron infusions about 18 months ago, and I would normally be thinking about doing some more (my numbers are "within range" --on the lower end-- but trending downward) ...but my hemotologist doesn't like to do infusions on pregnant women, he'd prefer to do a transfusion if neccessary... the thought of which scares me. 
I have never been able to tolerate iron in pill form (even tender iron)... gives me nausea immediately after taking it, then later turns my poo into cement.  However, I have just started taking LIQUID iron-- this stuff ---> http://www.iherb.com/Abkit-NatureWorks-Herbal-Iron-European- Liquid-Formula-Fruit-Flavor-17-fl-oz-500-ml/3393?at=1   (it's like a cheaper form of Floradix) in an attempt to raise my iron or at least keep it stabile while I'm pregnant. My hope is to avoid a transfusion during the pregnancy, using the liquid iron, and then get an INfusion after the baby is born. 
I have a few questions about liquid iron:
- If you've taken it, did it help raise your iron levels? If so, how long did it take?
-It says to take 2 tsps 2x a day.... how close together can you take these 2 doses? (with all the calcium citrate I'm taking, it's very difficult to space everything out and it would be easier if I could take my whole day's iron in one shot...)
-Also, any idea why hemotologist wouldn't want to infuse a pregnant lady? (I plan to ask him at my appointment, but that's not for a few weeks)

Thanks SO much!

-V

vitalady
on 8/23/11 2:28 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
What form of iron is it? If it's fe sulfate, waste of money.

However, Ferretts makes a liquid iron that is very well absorbed. Ferretts is also the name. It is (IPS) Iron Protein Succinate, which means it is heme iron. And yes, Proferrin makes the heme iron they use. It tastes as you would expect, BUT the aftertaste is rather pleasant. It does not stain your teeth.

While I still stick with my Tender iron, when Don was on a Jtube, I worried about his iron and then rememebered the liquid. I used only 1 oz twice/day, used only 2 bottles and his iron reminded pretty close to normal ranges, even tho by then he'd been without orals for 3 months. I was very impressed by its ability to restore him in such a short time.

I don't think it is on my site any more, because it was a slow mover, but it is an EXCELLENT product, regardless.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/23/11 3:40 am, edited 8/23/11 3:42 am
 I'll answer this for her since I happen to have a label from some Floridix right here.

The iron is fe gluconate, with some b2, b6, riboflavin and thiamine thrown into the mix.

EDIT - I just went to the data on the iron she is actully asking about, which is NOT Floridix, and the iron in it is iron-II-lactate.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/23/11 4:13 am
I don't want to hijack Violets thread here, but will ask you this since it is related to her question.

My doc gave me info on Floridix, and wants me to add that to the iron mix (so 3). I said I thought that iron gluconate was one of the "salt type" irons, which we don't absorb well because of our low stomach acid.

She said that is only a problem because we don't dissolve it well in the low acid, but since this is already a liquid, it's ready to absorb. She has been so clueless on everything else about WLS, so I don't really trust her (hence taking information on the Floridix for some research). I do trust you though. Any thoughts on this?

BTW, the lab tech there knows you, and LOVES LOVES LOVES you! She wishes every WLS person she sees was as proactive about their bloodwork as you (I hope she's not holding her breath on that wish).

My doctor had been very skeptical about every suggestion I made on supplements, as she sees very few people with any type of WLS. After learning her lab tech knew you, and getting the doctor and her in the same conversation, and that you and I take many of the same things for the same reason, the tech, and I, and YOU, despite you knowing nothing about this, brought my doctor around. Sheesh, I couldn't get any street cred without knowing you. Thank goodness that tech knew you, and understood what you do, or I'd still be fighting my doctor. Well, I still am, but hopefully less.

vitalady
on 8/23/11 4:54 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Hey, it's great that you have street cred, when I usually don't. LOL

Must be Lab Corp in Puyallup? I'm on them all for vit D like some kinda bad dream. LOL i'm always offering to "race" them for the best vit D scores. LOL

I've not seen Floradix change anyone's iron levels, but the tooth complaints are many.

I know for sure that the Ferretts liquid works, tho, having seen it with my own non-credentialed eyes. LOL I'm sure we could order it for you if you wanted. Not cheap, but very effective.

Loves me? Must be Nicole, cuz I poke vit D into her young, unwilling face every chance I get. And imagine, it takes what 15 minutes to suck that blood? That's a 15 minute vit D lecture every 6 months and the mini-version when I pick up my labs. LOL

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/23/11 3:47 am
My doctor has asked me to add Floridix to my iron ****tail (this will be my third type, and know I'm on my way to infusions).

Floridix has fe gluconate as the iron type, and the brand you are looking at has iron-II-lactate, which may make it worth looking at the differences
. The other co-factors in them are similar.
(deactivated member)
on 8/23/11 6:12 pm, edited 8/23/11 6:12 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
I know an RNY who couldn't get her iron levels up until she took this product.  She was very
happy with the results for her blood iron levels and the fact that it didn't give her constipation.

Your results may vary.

Best wishes,