OT: carpal tunnel syndrome - surgery

newyorkbitch
on 8/22/11 9:15 pm
Anybody experienced with carpal tunnel surgery?

(Carpal tunnel syndrome is NOT caused by repetitive motion...it is now thought to be hormonal...very common in the last trimester of pregnancy and in the postpartum period.  My son is just past 7 months)

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 9:36 pm
Yep, I've had bilateral CPT surgery 10 years apart. The first on my left wrist/hand to remove ganglion cysts crowding my tendons and vein and it was done the old fashioned way by going in through the palm-had a longer recovery period and more pain than my second surgery. Ten years later I had my right done and it was much easier to recoup from. You can do PT at home with squeeze balls they should give you and a list of exercises to do. Trust me, you'll know it if you over do it with exercise/PT...the shooting pain will remind you to slow it up.

Not sure about the hormonal theory as I have loads of mechanical issues, cyst issues, etc. that are the cause of my 12+ surgeries.
newyorkbitch
on 8/22/11 9:59 pm
I've read lots of the research and studies,  consulted with several orthopedic surgeons in NYC...it is for sure hormonal in my case. 

My surgery will be very straightforward,  doing the right side only....I'm told no PT necessary other than what you're describing (exercises at home) and I'm told that after the first 24 hours I will be okay with just tylenol - was that true for your right side?

My biggest concern is taking care of my son...I have lots of help for the first couple of days...
(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 10:02 pm
The left side-old fashioned CPT surgery, required heavier pain meds. That said, yes, it is true about the pain level just requiring Tylenol-that was for the right side and I'm right handed. I think you'll need to be very careful lifting your son as it can put too much strain on your wrist. I was told to not lift anything over 10 lbs for a few weeks. You will be very tender at first but it does heal quickly as long as you don't strain it.
KarenFlorida
on 8/22/11 10:03 pm, edited 8/22/11 10:04 pm - Orlando, FL
I am an orthopedic surgery PA; have been doing it for 10 years, including hand surgery. You can PM me if you want to, with any questions. If you have not tried conservative care such as an injection, you might want to consider that before surgery. It doesn't always work, but it could. Have you had an EMG?

Karen

ETA: I reread your post and it looks like you already have surgery scheduled! As far as taking care of your baby, you will have some increased pain when lifting him, but it should be do-able. You have to make sure to keep your incision clean and dry, so you will need help with bathing him, and you'll have to be especially careful with changing poo diapers! Maybe wear a glove? I think you'll be ok. The lifting restrictions are in place so you don't stress the sutures. There's not much damage you can do on the inside, no deep sutures or anything like that. Most people report mild pain after surgery...moderate to severe pain is less common.
newyorkbitch
on 8/22/11 10:08 pm
Yes,  have already had bilateral injections,  twice,  so have exhausted that option.  No EMG - not necessary, since my symptoms are so obvious and classic of CPS.

Had the second set of injection in early July....tingling is returning slowly but surely,  despite the use of wrist braces...

I am lefthanded so I'm going to do just the right hand at first (which in fact was worse) and then see after that...

I'm most concerned about the recovery. 
newyorkbitch
on 8/22/11 10:40 pm
Thanks.

Surgery is on a Thursday afternoon,  I won't bathe him for a few days (have babysitter and husband).  Plannning to wear a wrist guard 24 hours a day for at least a few days,  and keep it dry for 3 days (per the surgeon)...I'm thinking I will need narcotics only for the first 24 hours.  I have a high pain threshhold and I hate taking narcotics.

It's strange to have very very few symptoms now (due to the cortisone) but at the same time have surgery schedule for pretty soon...

Surgeon suggested doing both hands at once just to get it over with and have one surgery, one recovery....but I just couldn't bear the thought of not being able to handle my son at all for some days...also I know that in some cases,  doing one hand obviates the need to do the other hand...so we shall see.
KarenFlorida
on 8/22/11 10:56 pm - Orlando, FL
I agree, in your case it's better to do one at a time, because of the baby.

Karen
Julie R.
on 8/22/11 11:19 pm - Ludington, MI
My mom had both arms done last year, about....ohh...six weeks apart.    She has a spinal disorder that requires her to use a walker, and needed to be able to use her arms/wrists immediately post-op to ambulate with the walker.     She states that it was the easiest surgery she's ever had, and had minimal post-op pain or restrictions.

Good luck!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

newyorkbitch
on 8/23/11 12:00 am
Thanks everybody.  I feel reassured.