Hemorrhoids - TMI

rubytica
on 8/22/11 12:40 am - GA
Hello:

I am almost 8 weeks post-op and recently I am having issues with my hemorrhoids.  I used to have this long time ago pre-op when I used to be constipated; but I am not constipated now. They are bleeding a little and I am using preparation-H but was wondering what else can I do? If any of you have experienced this before, what worked for you? I am usually in the bathroom 2x in the morning and 2-3x at night.

Thanks
Ruby
(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 12:56 am - Beverly, NJ
I'm 6 weeks and having the same problem. Go tot he doctor. They can give you prescription cream that works wonders and if it doesn't work you can be referred to a colorectoal surgeon. Also try some sitz baths. Make sure you're not using toilet paper to wipe. You need something wet like a wipe. Don't sit on the toilet for longer than you have too. I also noticed that consistent use of my PPI helped with acidic poos and cut down on the pain.

My hemorrhoid burst last week. Since then I've felt much better although I still have a small one that seems to like hanging around I'm still seeing a colorectal surgeon however because my family has a history of colon and rectal cancer.
rubytica
on 8/22/11 1:16 am - GA
Thanks for your reply.  You are always so helpful.  What are "sitz" baths? Sorry I am a "foreigner" so sometimes I don't understand some words...lol.

Thanks again
Ruby
(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 1:49 am - Beverly, NJ
Thank you for your kind words although I owe everything I've learned to the pros on here. 

Sitz bath is pretty much a warm bath for your bum to soak in.  You can also add some sea salt or oils depending on the situation. Here's a link.  Google it too because you can find loads of great info on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitz_bath
no_more_rolls
on 8/22/11 4:31 am - Jackson, MI
When I suffer from my hemorrhoids I use homeopathic remedies.  I swear by them.  I was told I needed surgery several years ago for my hemorrhoids, but another doctor (former surgeon and homeopath) recommended I try using homeopathic remedies before having surgery.  They healed up enough on their own and I did not need surgery.  It does not mean that someday I still won't need surgery, but these homeopathics have got me by for the last 10+ years.  I take them at the first sign of any issues.  I'm almost 7 weeks out and have only needed to use them once...and I'm in the bathroom several times a day too.  

They are hamamelis virginiana and/or aesculus hippocastanum.  I buy the ones made by Boiron in a 6x dose (available over the counter), but there are other manufacturers and dosages.  

It's just a suggestion.  Hope you find some relief soon!

Roxy
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

rubytica
on 8/22/11 4:45 am - GA
Thank you so much for your suggestion.  I am heading to whole food after work and will be looking for these remedies.

Thanks again
Ruby
no_more_rolls
on 8/22/11 5:06 am - Jackson, MI
You're most welcome Ruby 

If you have never taken homeopathics there are a few "rules" to follow for best results.  Do not eat or drink anything 15-20 minutes before or after you take them.  Avoid strong flavors (like mint or coffee) around the time you plan to take them.  Take each kind 5-10 minutes apart.  You place them under your tongue and wait for the tablets to dissolve or if you get a liquid tincture you drop 10 drops under your tongue.

If you have anymore questions about these, let me know!

Roxy
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Cluckernut
on 8/22/11 5:12 pm - CA
There is a new surgery that is just about painless. I had it!  You might want to see a surgeon to discuss.  It does not remove them, it is hard to describe but it has to do with a "sleeve" procedure.  It works and I didn't even need pain meds afterwards. 
rubytica
on 8/23/11 5:17 am - GA
I got what you recommended.  Thanks for the instruction on how to take them.

I appreciate your help
Ruby
rubytica
on 8/24/11 8:02 am - GA
Roxy:
Do you take these homeopathics remedies even when you don't have symptoms as prevention or it is just when you get the symptoms?

Thanks
Ruby