I am really craving soda and it is making me crazy

Mannyb23
on 8/21/11 4:02 pm - Fort Worth, TX
I did not drink soda that much before I had my surgery but now that I am working nightshift again I am going crazy for soda. The other night I had a tummy ache and I wanted a 7up so bad and now I am sitting with my co worker that is drinking a coke and I want that. I am not 3 months out yet so I will not dare try to drink a soda yet, I just wanted to let out my frustrations. Thanks for listening.
My new life is beginning!         
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/21/11 4:06 pm
I hear ya

My achillies heel is a nice, cold coke. That was the one thing that really tortured me.

Tea with lemon and splenda helped as a substitute... But all I could think of was that can of coke...

For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

BBoop
on 8/21/11 4:13 pm
I'm about 3 and a half months out...I have coke (diet) all the time.  I believe I started drinking coke in my second month.  Alll I did was try it...I took on sip, then another and so forth.  I wanted to make sure it wasn't too much for me.  It wasn't.  All you can do is try and one or two sips should let you know if you are ready.

Good luck,
Betty
PattyL
on 8/21/11 4:47 pm
 Why not?  As long as you are well hydrated and the soda is diet, try it.
(deactivated member)
on 8/21/11 5:09 pm, edited 8/22/11 5:12 am - Beverly, NJ
Here in my neck of the woods we have something called Boost. Its kind of like a flat Pepsi. They have diet, caffeine free and the such. In the town I grew up in (Riverside, NJ) it's nicknamed liquid crack because EVERYONE drinks it. Whats nice about it is that it makes a great substitution for soda. They even sell it as a slushie. I've tried some once since my surgery and it did the trick. I haven't had it since though because I really just want to make sure I'm getting in all my fluid first and I'm barely making that. It's also good at calming an upset tummy. It was originally a "cure all" which turned into an energy drink.
Here's a link for it:
http://www.takaboost.com/

(edit: If for some reason this does look interesting the bottles may seem like alot of money but the mixing instructions are 1 part boost syrup to 4 parts water (although we're famous for mixing it half and half). So a gallon goes a long way!)
Jolly Rancher
on 8/21/11 5:10 pm, edited 8/21/11 5:10 pm
I was able to drink soda early on. I say try it, slowly, possibly over ice and see how it goes.

ETA: DIET of course!
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Mannyb23
on 8/21/11 5:54 pm - Fort Worth, TX

I was told to wait 3 months, were any of you told to do that?

My new life is beginning!         
Elizabeth N.
on 8/21/11 10:49 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Nope, I wasn't told any such thing. It's probably pretty good advice, but I don't think you'd harm yourself if you tried a little diet soda. I wouldn't drink it straight from the can or bottle, though, as that might be way too fizzy for this early out.  If you do try it, drink ONE swallow and then WAIT to see how it sits.

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/21/11 11:43 pm
YEs I was told this, too, so as not to put pressure on the healing stomach from the bubbles, also soda is rather acidic.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/22/11 2:52 am
 I was told that too, and honestly don't remember if I waited or not, but I was cautious with EVERY new thing I tried.

Just one thing to keep in mind - when I am craving soda, I'm often just needing hydration, so make sure you have had plenty of liquids of any sort, and the craving may subside.