E-NUFF!! You have been warned!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 1:00 pm - San Jose, CA
What can you tell us about Berger?  I've never heard of him, much less as a DS surgeon.  Who did he train with to learn the DS?  How many has he done?  There sure needs to be a competent DS surgeon in AZ.
beemerbeeper
on 8/22/11 1:46 pm - AL
I have never heard of Berger before.  Can you share more?  Does he do lap or open?  What is his follow-up program?  What labs does he order and how often?  What vites does he recommend? 

Does he do the DS on lightweights?

Who did he train under?  How many DS surgeries has he done?  Why have we never seen another of his patients here before?

Welcome to the fourm!

~Becky

Guate Wife
on 8/22/11 2:28 pm - Grand Rapids, MI

Do you have Diana blocked or something?

~ I am the proud wife of a Guatemalan, but most people call me Kimberley
Highest Known Weight  =  370#  /  59.7 bmi  @  5'6"

Current Weight  =  168#  /  26.4 bmi  :  fluctuates 5# either way  @  5'7"  /  more than 90% EWL
Normal BMI (24.9)  =  159#:  would have to compromise my muscle mass to get here without plastics, so this is not a goal.

I   my DS.    Don't go into WLS without knowing ALL of your options:  DSFacts.com

halblingefrau
on 8/23/11 3:14 am - Flagstaff, AZ
Sorry, I hadn't noticed there were replies to this post.

Dr Berger is a relatively new surgeon to the DS.  He's been doing bariatric surgeries for approx 10 years (I believe).  He does laproscopic (sometimes with robot assist) and only does open if medically necessary.

I am not sure if he does the DS for lightweights, but I do not think he does, at least not yet.

He has done around 10 DS surgeries to date, but they have been done in two parts.  I was the first to have the entire procedure done in one surgery.  That is probably why you haven't heard of him as a DS surgeon yet.

He trained in New York but I can't remember the names of the surgeons.

beemerbeeper
on 8/23/11 4:50 am - AL
That is good to know.

~Becky

Elizabeth N.
on 8/23/11 3:10 am - Burlington County, NJ
OOO. Tell us more please! We WANT to have more trustworthy and competent DS surgeons, along with weeding out the bad apples.

halblingefrau
on 8/23/11 3:26 am - Flagstaff, AZ
Well Elizabeth, I have to say I have never met a more professional, matter of fact but kind doctor before.  He's a wonderful doctor.  When I first met with him, I was planning an RNY surgery.  He suggested I research the DS before I made a decision either way.  He did not try to talk me into any type of surgery and was VERY upfront about the risks involved with each.

Ok, so more:  HE himself does not really do the vite recomendations or anything of the sort.  He works in partner with Dr Clark, who is the bariatrician (not a surgeon).  Dr Clark's office also has a dedicated nutritionist and physical therapist.  They require a minium of 4 months pre-op preparation regardless of your insurance.  They want to make sure you are ready for the lifestyle changes that any WLS surgery requires, and are not just looking to get cut and be done.  There is also extensive follow up support after surgery through this program.  I can't believe some of the programs in Phoenix who will schedule a surgery within 6 weeks of the first consult.

The Flagstaff Bariatric Center is a Center of Excellence bythe American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery.

Elizabeth N.
on 8/23/11 3:45 am - Burlington County, NJ
Sounds like he has potential. Very good. Please let us know (when you find out if you haven't yet) how the supplement and lab recommendations measure up to what we know to be important.

It would be TERRIFIC if he turns out to be another fine DS surgeon. Lord knows we need more of them.

And how are you doing so far?

Elizabeth N.
on 8/22/11 3:10 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I've been blocking that kind of person here for years. It won't be anything new for me. Welcome to my world :-).

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/11 9:16 am
As usual (lately) I am late to the party.

Thank you!!!!

Michele