dumb NUT!

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/11 2:08 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
I've come to the conclusion that you should just say "Yes, ma'am" to a Nute, then do what
Vitalady says to do!  You know the Nute won't know the difference, and when you do your
labs they'll look great, and you'll feel great!

Congratulations!
honeybadger 11
on 8/20/11 2:37 pm - FL

That is what i did with her but im still pre op im already frustrated with the misinformation that some surgeons, NUT and other medical professionals that deal with the DS put out there. I will not turn a blind eye and say "yes, i follow your program" so they can continue to put out this garbage to others. Im lucky that i have all the vets on OH but someone who doesnt takes a chance of being serious malnourished and i plan to tell them at my check ups about the program i follow.

Sorry hope that didnt come across too *****y:) i like being able to pay it forward and after my DS i plan to become a staunch supporter of that!

Thanks Lynn! 

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

newyorkbitch
on 8/20/11 10:18 pm
Jennifer, try asking her her to provide you with studies that back up what she's recommending.    Specific to the DS...
honeybadger 11
on 8/20/11 11:11 pm - FL
HaHa! i doubt i will ever have to talk to her again BUT if i do those will be the first words out of my mouth! Back IT UP or Shut It UP!...i think that will be my new motto:)

~Jennifer

beemerbeeper
on 8/21/11 6:34 am - AL
She will come bug the **** out of you in the hospital.  I had to tell her to leave as I was just about ready to sock her.

~Becky

beemerbeeper
on 8/20/11 3:21 pm, edited 8/20/11 3:23 pm - AL
You don't need a NUT post op.  Just listen to the vets here.  Smith is a good surgeon and worth having to put up with his idiot staff.

We malabsorb enough fat that if I don't ADD fat to my diet I can't poop.  If I ate low fat I would be having serious serious problems.  I eat a LOT of fat.  And my poops are great.  You'll find how much fat works for you.  Early out you won't need much at all but as time goes by you will find that you need to add more.

That vitamin advice is total crap.  This is what you need: www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3- 2010.pdf.  They know I follow VitaLady's program. 

You will also have to make sure that you figure out how to get ALL the labs you need ordered (by your pcp at home) because Smith won't order all of them.

They will also tell you that you need to get some odd number of protein grams immediately post-op.  I think they told me 76.  Idiots.  I did 30/60/90 and I still supplement with shakes and get well over 100 every day like a good DSer should.

I write my own lab slip and my pcp (now my second pcp) signs it and I take it to the lab of my choice.  I have the labs sent to Smith and my pcp and released to me.  I can help you with this if you need it.

Just ignore the NUT and don't worry about needing one after surgery.  You will just need a good PCP.

Edited to add:  There is no reason to have "check-ups" with Smith or his NUT post-op unless you are having problems.  I've never been back.  Why would I?  What would I get out of it? 

~Becky

honeybadger 11
on 8/20/11 11:28 pm - FL

I ALWAYS listen to the vets and i will be taking vitaladys schedule.

Im just so afraid of failing the DS like i did with the lapband. i have a huge food addiction which i completely admit to and struggle with daily so i feel like i need to build an army against it. im sure most of these feelings will pass after i get the DS and i am able to work with it.

I have a good PCP, i think. Hes new to me because my old PCP gave me the riot act about failing with the lapband and i didnt want to proceed with him a my DS PCP. Only time will tell with my new PCP. His office staff are idiots and i have to constantly call them for anything (starting with the ordering of my labs, ending with getting all my tests and procedures faxed over to Dr. Smith to get insurance approval for the DS) but i dont mind because i like him and his nurse and he is very open to understanding the difference between RNY and DS.

I guess i misunderstood the check up thing. I thought once a year he would want to talk with you...guess not!

Thanks Becky. I love that you are on this board and im able to get info as to how my surgeon does things...i hate being left in the dark!

~Jennifer

Elizabeth N.
on 8/21/11 2:07 am - Burlington County, NJ
This "food addiction" thing is something that bugs me, so I'm going to ask you to consider picking it apart a bit and see if you can find a better way to look at it--which might very well help you change some really important stuff in your life. Some questions:

What feelings do you have when you want to dive in and eat?

What situations precipitate the feelings?

What foods do you gravitate toward when you want to act out your "addiction"?

What common denominators do those foods have? Is it taste? Texture? What ingredients, especially additives, do they have in common? IF you have a real "addiction," there is a physical and a psychological component. They physical component is NOT "food." It is some substance in certain foods. And it's almost assuredly NOT "white sugar" or "white carbs," despite the OA party line.

Now I'd like to invite you to take some time for yourself and finish this sentence with every single thing that comes to mind: "I am eating in order to......"

Don't censor any responses, don't think about them, just write 'em down (not here, for YOU). Keep writing until there's nothing left.

Do this several times.

I will bet my bottom dollar that you will then have what  you're really doing with food, which is self medication or substitution. THIS IS NOT ADDICTION AND IS TREATED TOTALLY DIFFERENTLY FROM ADDICTION. 

Many self-medicating overeaters get told they have an eating disorder. My therapist started me on the way to the most amazing transformation in the world when he said to me some 17 or so years ago, "You don't have an eating disorder. You have an eating INorder." 

We also get labeled "compulsive overeaters." See how that label blames the person and the symptom rather than addressing any problems that CAUSE it? Look beyond the behavior to what is driving it.

Beware. What comes up might be damned brutal. That's why I'm such a proponent of therapy. An awful lot of us are hiding some serious **** under the fat and the food--hiding it most of all from ourselves.

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/11 2:20 am
honeybadger 11
on 8/21/11 3:10 am - FL

This is why i love you EN. You have just given me more direction and advice for FREE then my $50 an hr psych who MAJORED in food disorders.

I did that 3hr psych test which showed that i dont have an addictive personality. I told my hubby at the time that it didnt makes sense to me since i speak to my psych about my "food addiction"!

My psych often worries more at my appt about the fact that i like to have several drinks socially 2-3 times a month then about my foods!

I will have to work on that journaling stuff. I told my hubby just last nite that i wished my psych would move onto finding out why i eat the way i do. Ive only had one actual appt with her (the other 3 were for pre test consult, testing, then post test consult) so i will give her sometime but if not, i will move on to someone who will better suit my goal.

I REALLY dont want to fail so i will do EVERYTHING possible to get and STAY at a healthy weight. Thanks again EN for all of your insight:) Youre the Best!

~Jennifer