Losing weight before surgery

DianaRR
on 8/21/11 7:21 am - CA
I read on this list that it was good for the surgery if you really loaded up on protein. I focused on that pre-op and did also manage to lose some weight.
newyorkbitch
on 8/21/11 7:30 am
I didn't lose an ounce before surgery.  I ate like there was no tomorrow,  up until the last day.  My surgeon (Gagner) required no diet of any kind (other than nothing after midnight the night before surgery). 
Sher Bear Mama
on 8/21/11 1:12 pm
Kaiser is forcing me to lost 10% of my weight--which means that they expect me to lost 25 pounds in 12 weeks pre surgery.  They said if I didn't lose the weight, I couldn't get surgery, but I had up to a year to get it off before they made me take the Options courses over again (stupid weight loss classes that have NOTHING to do with the DS).  I'm in the process of appealing this decision but I'll do what I have to do to get the DS.  Seems like most of the people I talk with lose only about 10 pounds pre-op.

Congratulations on your surgery! Thursday is so close!!!!

Sher-
Sher--the bear mama

butercup
on 8/21/11 1:16 pm - Kennewick, WA
My surgeon wanted me to lose as much as I could. Losing weight has softened up my abdomen. I had a lot of pressure and it would have made the surgery space a tight workspace. I've lost about 10% and the pressure has gone way down. I'm also eating similar to how I would after surgery. I think that the last 90 days have helped me get ready for surgery mentally and physically. I want to be as successful as possible and feel that losing some weight will help me with that.
carebearsuzzan
on 8/21/11 2:30 pm - CA
THEY HELPED ME DESIDE AGAINST RNY TOO! YES THEY ARE AMAZING~    GRRRR I FEEL YOUR NERVOUSNESS ~ GOOD LUCK AND KNOW WE MAKE CHOICES TO BETTER OUR LIVES !  PIL SUANG! MEANS YOU CAN DO IT IN KOREAN~ IM SO EXCITED FOR YOU~ PRAYERS SENT UR WAY
michelehei
on 8/21/11 10:27 pm
 Thank you so much!  I am soooooooo nervous!  Yet very excited to start this new chapter in my life.
The one thing that I am most uncomfortable with is the whole poop issue that everyone talks about.
Some say it's not bad and others tell stories that sound like I need to stay right near a bathroom and diarrhea may be my middle name!!!  Not sure what to expect.  

Yes...these wonderful people on this forum that don't know me have been amazing.  I feel like I know all of them and they have helped me to decide that the DS is the way to go.  I have not told anyone about my revision except my husband and my boys.  So the people on this forum are my friends and support outside of my immediate family.  They are truly amazing and so knowlegable.  

Good luck to you with your journey.  When is surgery?
Thanks so much for your kind words of support!