What preparations did you make in the month before surgery?

beemerbeeper
on 8/21/11 6:30 am - AL
The back scratcher was to scratch my shins under those pump up space boots they put on you and it helped me reach things.  Look at dollar store type places.

Dr Smith wants his pateints to shrink their liver to make it easier on him and you to do the lap surgery.  Even tho I lost 20 lbs my surgical report still says my liver was huge and in the way and I think some of my post op pain was from him having to move it out of the way.

I think getting a head start of the weight loss was good for me mentally as well.

~Becky

Lori F.
on 8/21/11 10:57 am - Chula Vista, CA
Back scratchers are in plentiful supply at the dollar store!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
Amy_Kleve
on 8/21/11 8:18 am - Adrian, MN
Looks like everyone covered most of my thoughts. I just want to add to the exercise part, that is very important because you will use your back, leg and arm muscles A LOT after surgery to support your tummy. Do some breathing exercises as well
Good luck with insurance, the same thing happened to me...

Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/11 8:27 am - San Jose, CA
I had 6 weeks between approval and surgery.  I did this:

1) Quit smoking
2) Started walking - got up to a mile a day from barely being able to walk around the block
3) Started taking vitamins
4) Bought balloons to blow up to exercise my lungs
5) Finally updated our wills, powers of attorney, put the house in a trust - stuff I should have done LONG before

Also cleared my desk at work as much as possible - without letting them think they could do without me.
Band to DS
on 8/21/11 11:18 am, edited 2/3/12 10:47 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 12:51 am - TX
Thanks Shelli, for asking this as I too am trying to prepare!  :)
(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 2:06 am
Me too!  Great suggestions everyone!
Sexyvt123
on 8/22/11 6:30 am
Me 3.  I am taking lots of notes.  The balloon trick sounds like a GREAT idea.  Thanks for asking Shelli.