What preparations did you make in the month before surgery?

Band to DS
on 8/21/11 1:59 am, edited 2/3/12 10:46 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

beemerbeeper
on 8/21/11 2:57 am - AL
What I was doing the month before surgery?

Not smoking.  A full time job.  I am proud to say that my quit date is June 3, 2009.

Eating low carb.  I lost almost 20 lbs prior to my surgery.

I bought a back scratcher.  OMG best thing I had at the hospital.

What I *wish* I had done?  Exercised. 

Good luck to you.  I know you are going to do great.

~Becky

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/21/11 3:29 am
Take vitamins every day to get into the habit, and help the body get as healthy as it can be pre-op
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

newyorkbitch
on 8/21/11 4:31 am
Find out if your surgeon has any pre-surgery diet requirements.
Elizabeth N.
on 8/21/11 4:53 am - Burlington County, NJ
DRINK PROTEIN, lots of it. Helps with healing postop.

I had between 40 and 50 staples for my humongous open incision (over double the usual size due to my oddball guts), and that incision was CLOSED at my 10 day postop appointment. Two years previously, the same size incision for my hystie was stapled and held by fancy supportive devices for six weeks. Location was part of it, as the bottom three or four inches were way low on my hanging belly, but a LOT of it was the difference in nutritional status. My surgeon had advised me to kick the protein wayyyy up beforehand.

If you think you'll need real elevation/help getting out of bed, consider renting a power recliner or adjustable bed. I did that and it was great. Bed for DS, recliner for TT.

Improve your lung capacity by blowing up balloons. The goal is to blow up the balloon as far as possible in one breath. A strong, forceful, long exhale is VERY good for your lungs. You need to work on that so you'll be able to breathe more deeply and freely postop, to clear your body of anesthesia.

Work on your mind. Put yourself in the best possible frame of mind by filling it with positive images and messages. It's time to stop worrying about failure and to focus only on SUCCESS, on a flawless surgery in which your body fully cooperates, and a surprisingly comfortable recovery.

Band to DS
on 8/21/11 5:20 am, edited 2/3/12 10:47 pm

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

Band to DS
on 8/21/11 4:59 am, edited 2/3/12 10:47 pm

newyorkbitch
on 8/21/11 5:26 am
Give somebody you trust your power of attorney,  and write a Will if you don't have one.

Make sure you have a health care proxy and living will on flie at the hospital.
Band to DS
on 8/21/11 11:12 am, edited 2/3/12 10:47 pm

newyorkbitch
on 8/21/11 11:15 am
You have to see if the state you live in made any changes to the law regarding these things since 2008.  Check your state's dept of health website.