Low Carb Fudge, family loves but I haven't tried

no_more_rolls
on 8/20/11 4:23 am - Jackson, MI
I accidentally came across this recipe while on a low carb recipe site.  I made it for my family and have been sitting here staring at it wanting to try a piece.   I am only 6 weeks out and not sure if I will tolerate this well or not...since I have been battling nausea and vomiting.  It's been hit or miss.  Do I dare try it?  Does anyone think it will be okay or have other "sweet tooth" recipes that are well tolerated?  I can NOT tolerate any protein powders yet.  When I make this recipe in the future I intend to substitute 2 ounces of cream cheese for peanut butter.  Thanks in advance!

Recipe for Low Carb Fudge -- Serving Size 1 square

Ingredients:

• 6 Tablespoons (or 1/3 cup plus 1 Tablespoon) butter or margarine
  • 6 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 24 (1 gram) packets of Equal sugar substitute
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (Check the label. Pure extract will have some carbs from the alcohol content. Imitation vanilla flavoring may be substituted.)
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened (Do not use "fat free" for this recipe.)
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional) Note that nuts, while low in carbohydrates still vary slightly in the amount of carbs they contain. Also do not use any nuts that are sugared, or pre-seasoned.

Directions:

1. Melt butter or margarine over low heat.
  2. Add cocoa powder and stir until smooth.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in sweetener and vanilla.
  4. Combine the chocolate mixture with the cream cheese and beat until fudge is smooth.
  5. Stir in nuts and spread in lightly greased 8 inch square pan.
  6. Refrigerate until firm.
  7. Cut into 16 squares.

Read more at Suite101: How to Make Fudge That Fits Into a Low Carb Diet: A Sweet, Creamy Candy That's Low in Carbohydrates But Tastes Great | Suite101.com http://www.suite101.com/content/how-to-make-fudge-that-fits- into-a-low-carb-diet-a181144#ixzz1VarTvW1x
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Julie R.
on 8/20/11 4:47 am - Ludington, MI
 Roxie - I'd try it - just a tiny piece.    You're six weeks out, you're on full food.  It might be just enough of something different to shake it up a bit.     

Also, what protein powders have you tried so far?
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

no_more_rolls
on 8/20/11 5:03 am - Jackson, MI
Hey Julie!

I am soooo tempted to try it.  In truth there's only a few things I can eat and tolerate.  Eggs (believe it or not I would starve if it wasn't for eggs), cheese, jello, cottage cheese ****assionally), chicken breast, pork loin (no ham), and ground beef in lots of gravy.  I can't do mayo or other condiments or seasoning yet...the more bland the better.

OMG I feel like I've tried all the protein powders!  Truth is I've gotten sick on so many I am afraid to try anything else.  I've tried Matrix, Unjury, Now, Super Advanced (Walmart brand), some clear green Nectar (don't remember the brand), Aria, the nasty packet product from GHP, Biggest Loser brand, Ensure low carb, Muscle Milk, and an assortment of various brand packets from my local health food store.  I've been hospitalized twice for nausea and vomiting post-op and have a thrush infection I STILL can not get rid of.  I am on my third round of diflucan and nystatin rinse.  I hope after the thrush is gone, I may be able to tolerate protein powders better.  If not, they will be sitting in my cupboard until hubby gets his DS.
Julie R.
on 8/20/11 5:14 am - Ludington, MI
 I'm sorry to hear you are still having a tough time.    I'd go for a bite or two of that fudge, just to taste it, LOL.    I'm really glad you are tolerating eggs.    They are a superior source of protein.    I agree that maybe getting rid of the thrush might help your ability to tolerate foods better.    I've never had that unfortunate experience,  but I've heard many comments that it really affects the way you taste foods and that it makes one nauseous.    As to protein powders, I still advocate Designer Whey.   You can get it at Rite Aid or Meijer in a smaller can, and that way if you don't tolerate it, you don't have an entire industrial sized jug of the stuff hanging around.     Chocolate is the only one I truly like,, but strawberry isn't bad.     I REALLY like it when I make it with a shot of cold espresso or add a teaspoon of instant espresso powder or instant coffee.    It cuts the whey taste.    One of the reasons I like this brand is that it's not too sickly sweet like so many others.     

This will all pass - trust me!

no_more_rolls
on 8/20/11 5:39 am - Jackson, MI
Thanks for the well wishes...I hope you are right and it passes SOON.  The Aria protein powder (12 ounce can) is also labeled Designer Whey...America's #1 protein since 1993, but it is the low glycemic formula.  I did not tolerate that either...although I admit it was one of the better ones I've tried so far.  I actually thought I was going to tolerate it initially...but after 30 minutes or so I got the slimey's and got sick.  I've refused to try it since.  I've also learned I do not tolerate milk well, including almond, soy, and rice milk.  
Julie R.
on 8/20/11 5:46 am - Ludington, MI
 I'm not a protein shake person either.   Have you tried any protein bars?  Do you tolerate them at all?  I was given the go-ahead to try them at two weeks from GHP.   THe only ones I REALLY love though are Power Crunch bars.   They taste like wafer cookies.   Sometimes I can find them at Rite-Aid, I usually get them from Vitacost or Amazon, but lo and behold, I was in Deeeeeetroit this weekend, and found them for real cheap at Trader Joe's on Haggerty and Seven Mile.  $1.13 a bar.   They have no artificial sweeteners so you don't get that icky cloying taste.   I'll eat the Atkins granola ones too.

no_more_rolls
on 8/20/11 5:57 am - Jackson, MI
At 6 weeks out, I'm still told not to eat protein bars.  Maybe it's because of the nausea and vomiting?  Elixer mentioned a bar too...and she's also a GHPer.  I think I'm gonna have to try one...just for my own benefit.  I'll just eat one bite, chew, chew, chew then wait.  I know, bad thing to do...but they also told me not to eat eggs initially and I tolerate those well.  It's all on an individual basis at this point imo. 
Julie R.
on 8/20/11 6:07 am - Ludington, MI
 Wow!  I'm really surprised!   At two weeks GHP told me I could have eggs AND protein bars!

no_more_rolls
on 8/20/11 6:32 am - Jackson, MI
I was told the yolk is hard to digest for some people.  So since I'm having the N&V issue she didn't want me to eat eggs.  One day hubby ordered chinese food.  I remembered another poster saying she lived off egg drop soup so I ate his.  No problems at all and I've been eating eggs (lots of them) ever since.

Maybe it was because I've put back in the hospital twice?  Each time they put me on a clear liquid diet, then I had to progress from there.  
zuzupetals2u2
on 8/20/11 5:06 am - Sedona, AZ
I have always had a big sweet tooth but I just didnt get the urge for the first 6 months or so as anything sweet didnt agree with me but that can easily change as I found out. It's been harder to lose now since I added sweets on  more regular occasions so I wish I had just continued statying away from them for a long time- preferable during the first 2 year honeymoon period while I drop all the weigh I can. It is the one thing that I think can sabotage my success if I let it. So I wouldnt get into too many dessert recipes right yet I dont think and learn to turn to the more savory things in the beginning.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh