4 days and freaking out!

Nissa_M
on 8/19/11 5:17 pm - TX
I've been reading so much about the DS and I still can't find a lot about bowel obstructions, except to expect them at one time or another. Is this really how it is? I'm not finding too much info about how to prevent them, I did find the signs/symptoms and I'm really freaked out.

Uggg, I don't want to talk myself out of doing this. I'm just really scared and stressed and worried.
Lisa A.
on 8/19/11 7:46 pm - Windsor, NY
I feel for you. It is a very serious surgery and there is definately maintenance afterwards. If you've done all your homework and are content with your surgeon then that is at least half the battle. The other half is just getting mentally prepared for life after surgery. It will take some time for you to get back to feeling "yourself". Some recover quicker than others. You wouldn't be human if you were not scared.

DivaJojo
on 8/19/11 9:12 pm - Atlanta, GA
It"s very good that you are researching thoroughly. Regarding obstructions, I personally don't recall seing a lot about. I have seen a few instances of it reported on the boards, but I didn't get the impression it was a direct redult of surgery post op life, but had some degree of bowel issues before surgery that contributed more to the problem. Hopefully those who have experienced it will chime in and give some insight.

I wouldn'tlet it scare you away from surgery, unless you have bowel issues now, in which case I would openly discuss with your doctor how the ds may affect your system specifically. When researching, you must condider any and all digestive issues you currently have because they can affect how your body will respond to any surgery

That said, I doubt there are more than a select few issues that would be a deal breaker for getting the ds.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

newyorkbitch
on 8/19/11 10:07 pm
Bowel obstructions are most certainly in many cases the result of bowel surgery.  They are primarily caused by adhesions which result from surgery.  They are a risk of any bowel surgery,  although it is by no means "common." 

I had a bowel obstruction 2 years post-op,  emergency open surgery (incision from sternum to pubic bone)...others here experienced the same thing.

But this is NOT a reason to stay obese, which is a far greater risk.  You must be aware of the signs and symptoms if this should happen to you,  and seek IMMEDIATE intervention if it does.

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 10:52 pm
pycca
on 8/20/11 12:02 am - Haslet, TX
as a medical person, bowel obstructions can happen , even in regular patients.

It is a common thing to be AWARE  of because yes, adhesion's from previous surgeries can make them more prevalent...

But it does not mean YOU will have one.. 

these precautions are out there to make sure you keep in mind, and remember the symptoms, as we with our limbs can have one and... UNLIKE ...most can still have movements and pass gas. Many docs don't get that part!!  Now comes the part of advocating for your self if you ever think it may be one,,

There is not any set rules of how to prevent them,, all depends on how your body heals, how things and fat melts away, how much you work on toning, and many other things .

So just bookmark the info,, keep in back of mind what symptoms those vets on here have posted,,

Good luck, take a deep breath , this is still ALL worth for better health !!!

(PS.. that is one of the picky things Dr Stewart. thinks about.  He  says he trys to make sure things are stableized and not have too much area to shift.)
Jennifer D.
on 8/20/11 12:08 am
Nissa, I agree it's good to be aware and I am sure you will know if something is wrong. As long as you listen to your body you will be fine. Let's do this!!!
dustydeer
on 8/20/11 1:55 am
It is probably time for you to put pen to paper and do an assessment of pros/cons.
By my common sense thinking...as a result of obesity, your chances of having other surgeries increases and it's surgery that's causes BO's, not weight loss surgery.

So while in the immediate future your chances increase of having some complication, in the long run you are healthier for having lost weight.

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude

no_more_rolls
on 8/20/11 7:32 am - Jackson, MI
 Don't worry, you will be fine 

I think it is normal to second guess your surgery when you are so close to your scheduled date.  Trust me I second guessed myself days before my DS, on my way to the hospital, and the few moments before the nurse pushed that magic truth serum into my IV before I passed out!  (Only after I said some things I'm embarrassed about.)  LOL  I second guessed myself the first few days post-op too!  You are going through a life changing process.  I don't want to say life changing procedure because it does not happen just with the surgery...it really is a process.  I read these boards for hours and months before I had surgery, and I'm still learning.  

All you can do is think about how hard you worked with doctors, tests, pre-op diets, possibly your insurance company, etc. to get this surgery.  Do you seriously want to give up now?  Would you want to start this process over in 5 years if you don't go through with it?  Think about what your life could be like in 5 years if you do!  What would your health be like?  I refused to talk myself out of it because I was tired of being a spectator in life...I wanted to be a participant!  I know if I stayed 311 pounds in 5 years I could easily be 350.  Would my health problems be worse? Would I be alive in 10 years?

When you think of it that way...it's hard to talk yourself out of it.  Good luck!  Wishing you a healthy, speedy, and uneventful surgery and recovery!

~Roxy
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Nissa_M
on 8/20/11 12:44 pm - TX
Thanks everyone! I am much more relaxed about it and realize that I'm not willing to give up on the surgery. I'm on a seriously crazy emotional roller coaster. I've gone back to being excited. I appreciate all the help and encouraging words. I'm thankful for you all and for my family support. I can't believe I'm just days away! Is it Wednesday yet?!? :D