RNY vrs DS trying to decide

Victorious_one
on 8/20/11 10:57 am - South Central, PA

Just adding my two cents:  here's a post I share about why I chose the DS over the RnY.  
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/victorious_one/blog/2010/09/29/why-i-chose-the-ds-over-the-rny/

The GERD issue isn't addressed in that post.  I did NOT have GERD before my DS, but I do now.  I had some crazy side effects that the overwhelming vast majority of DSers never experience.  I'm special that way. 

Like Diana said, if your GERD is controllable now, chances are that it will be after your DS.

Is your surgeon a vetted DS surgeon from DSFacts.com?  If not, he may be trying to just sell you the surgery he's most comfortable doing himself. 

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
carebearsuzzan
on 8/20/11 2:10 pm - CA
he is vetted on that website:) he would be the surgeon eighter choice, he did awesome on my sisters 6 months ago:)
Pound4Pound
on 8/20/11 1:08 pm - Prattville, AL

I simply did not want to wind up like the 40% of SMO people that get the RNY and it  fails them. I saw way too many looking for revisions to the DS. I just came to the logical conclusion that I was not going to get this wrong the first time.

If you think WLS is risky, take a long look at how much more riskier a revision is. We have lots of people here on the DS forum that have suffered through them. They are pretty much always glad they did, but I know they wish they would have skipped that revision thing, and gotten the DS the first time. Why put yourself through it when you have the knowledge of a much better option.

I’m not saying the DS is for everyone, because quite frankly, one needs to be a little more intelligent than the average person to truly get a grasp of this process. The vitamins and importance of the labs and being very active in your own health…..

These are not things to be taken lightly. You cannot do this for a couple of years and then let it slide because your weight is where you like it. Or you feel just fine. With the RNY you can get lax on your aftercare, and get yourself very sick. Try that with the DS, and it can kill your ass.

So far not a single complication. I truly love my DS. I'd trade my first born for this surgery.... Not really, but it would make me think for a second.... 

Artificial Intelligence is simply no match for Natural Stupidity.

carebearsuzzan
on 8/20/11 2:18 pm - CA
lol  love your ending.... but yes I know its a life time change, my sister had the DS 6 months ago, and is doing well im with her alo****ching her viatameals(lots of pills) and watch what she is eating and she researched the ds for years..  She looks amazing but more important she feels amazing. i did question my self months ago about me handling the pain of the first 2 weeks... Im not gona lie I am scared ****less...  but its better than having a bypass for my heart or kidney failure n diabetes which my mom has all of them....  thank you for taking you time to answer my post u guys are all so nice :)
danas
on 8/21/11 9:28 am - CA

Dr. Crookes is great, he just prefers RNY over DS. He also won't perform a procedure on you that you don't want.

I had GERD pretty bad pre-op & I've taken one omperazole (generic prilosec) a day since right after surgery. I used to take two pre-op. I don't think it's so much "convincing" him as it is him knowing that you understand the chance you are taking with a DS compared to RNY regarding GERD.

Won against big bad (SoCal) Kaiser for a Duodenal Switch  Haven't heard of DS? Kaiser wants it that way. Come on over & read the truth
Hit goal (Normal BMI) on 2-10-11!    I LOVE my DS!!
My approval process timeline:
02/12/09 - Dr. refused to refer me for WLS
03/03/09 - Vented/whined about it on another board, planned to just wait until next year & switch plans
Let's see what happens!  **updates in blog**
zuzupetals2u2
on 8/21/11 1:54 pm - Sedona, AZ
I don't have GERD but I wouldn't have any surgery if I couldn't have the DS. The RNY doesn't seem worth it if you will likely regain the weight in a few years. I was wondering tho if you could work on your GERD before having the DS (avoid spicey foods & laying down after eating & be on medication to turn off the stomach acids, etc) and get healed before the DS? Just a thought . .it might make it easier ??

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/21/11 2:07 pm
I'm always hesitant to say this, because I know it doesn't apply to everyone, but I had gerd prior to my DS (moderate), and haven't had one single episode after. I don't take anything for it either.

Even if I was told I'd have gotten gerd worse after my DS, I'd have still chosen the DS over RNY.
carebearsuzzan
on 8/21/11 2:22 pm - CA

me to I want to be a DSer~~  n i dint even know what GERD WAS TIL THE 17TH~~`I THOUGHT IT WAS MILD HEART BURN~~  THANKS

smileyjamie72
on 8/22/11 3:45 am - Palmer, AK

I ditto that you should have the DS..... not the RNY.  I am in the process of trying to revise my 2002 RNY to a DS.

Good Luck!!!!!
-Jamie in Alaska

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

bseelbach
on 8/22/11 4:06 am - VA
 Carebearsuzzan,
Great discussion going on here. I am a DSer and did not want the RNY after having talked with two very successful RNY'ers. I was afraid of dumping, vomiting and getting food stuck. I felt DS was the most natural and because of the amount of weight I had to lose, about 200 pounds, my surgeon felt DS would be the best bet for me. Lots of options to weigh (pun intended)!

I would have my DS again, even with all the ups and downs associated with it. I am down about 195 pounds and feeling awesome. Keep us posted on what you chose - this is a great community of support.
Thanks
Brenda
See my weight loss surgery journey - losing 193 pounds in 14 months
at: www.my-weight-loss-surgery.com follow me on Facebook too: https://www.facebook.com/MyWeightLossSurgery

Most Active
Recent Topics